Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
Experience:  Cert. Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years
1609972

My 2012 town & country just stopped blowing cold air front

Customer Question

my 2012 town & country just stopped blowing cold air front and rear.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Thomas Ragusa replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a Chrysler technician, When you say it stopped blowing cold air, do you mean your AC is not working but there is air coming out of the vents?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
yeah it blows warm air. Even when I set it to 62 it blows warm air, front and back. I checked and didn't think the compressor was engaging.

it could be possible you have a leak in the AC system. A very common place for freon to leak out is in the back evaporator.

To test to see if you have a leak you can buy a small can of freon from the parts store and follow the directions on the bottle or ask the parts guy to help to put some in your system. since it is a front and rear AC system it takes about 2 and a half oz's to fill which is alot. once you put some freon in the system see if the temp gets colder and see if the AC clutch engauges. a quick way to check, but not 100% effective to see if there is a leak in the rear evaporator is to take a look behind the bumper right behind the passenger rear tire. You will see the AC lines going into the body, if its wet with some oily substance, that would be the oil in the AC system and the evaporator will need to be changed.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have been seeing alot of water on the ground there lately. I think it was water, i never checked because it was clear and not gas so I didn't worry. would that be a sign of a leak also.

The water you probably see is probably just condinsation or possibly from the exhaust, which is normal, if the AC oil was leaking it would be like a highlighter yellow color

the first step to diagnosing an AC performance issue is to see roughly what the AC freon level is, that will determine if its a leak or something else

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no wetness or oil residue back there. I will try some freon and see if it comes back for awhile. where would the front evaperator be located at.

the front evaporator is located behind the dash. if you open the hood and take your engine cover off (just pops off) you will see the AC lines going into your firewall

follow and check all the AC lines and the condensor which is in front of the car directly behind the bumper. if you had a uv light, or black light I would tell you to shine it on all the ac components and see if anything lights up bright.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I can get a uv light. I will get one and some freon and check that out and get back to you.

no problem, just again with the back ac evaporator you will see some foam press on it if you can and see if its wet and oily. let me know what you come up with

just checking in