roybelding
roybelding, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Extensive experience working with all models of Chrysler for over 35 years
3506196

Last week I had a problem with a 2005 chrysler town and

Customer Question

Last week I had a problem with a 2005 chrysler town and country My computer crashed and did not get it fixed. I need to get back to the problem.
JA: Are you fixing your Town and Country yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: You'r mechanic suggested plugged cat. converter, We removed the o2 sensor, no help. We replaced the crank and cam sensors, no help, replaced the timing chain and gears, no help, replaced map sensor, no help. It idles fine but is sluggish at low rpm. When it gets to about 3800 rpm it jumps and bucks and will not go any faster. Same when sitting still in park. Runs great when cold for about 1-2 minutes then starts. Cruise control stops working then also. 3.3 V6 156,000 miles. I have worked on motors for 50 years but have no computer to hook up.
JA: Have you located all of the vehicle's oxygen sensors? Are the wires leading to and from each intact and in good shape?
Customer: Yes.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Did you do an actual exhaust back pressure test at all or just removed the oxygen sensor?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Just removed the o2 sensor Same thing or worse
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

O.k.,this usually doesnt allow enough exhaust to escape if there is a restricted catalytic converter by just removing this sensor.See if you can rent an exhaust back pressure tester from a local parts store and run the engine from idle to wide open throttle.Your exhaust back pressure should not exceed 1.5 psi at any engine rpm.If it does tehn the catalytic converter needs replaced.

You can also disconnect the exhaust from the exhaust manifold and run very shortly to see if power comes back and if it does then the catalytic converter needs replaced.But just removing the sensor from the exhaust wont help to tell if the catalytic converter needs replaced and this does sound like a plugged exhaust from here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We have replaced the cam and crank sensors, timing chain and gears, map sensor and removed the cat converter and it still does the same thing. Idles fine but when it reaches 3800 RPM it acts like it has a rev limiter on it . The tack goes back and forth to 0 very quickly. DOES NOT SPUTTER. When you fist start it up it will go to 5,500 rpm and run good but in about a minute it starts this. and once it does it it will not go past 3,800 rpm. COULD THIS BE A TEMP. SENSOR? Thanks
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

This is a difficult question for me to answer myself here.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  roybelding replied 2 months ago.

do you still need help???

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We have tried what was suggested and still have the same problem.

ok

1. check fuel pressure and volume

2. compression test

3. injectors. were they ever serviced?? no fuel additive will clean injectors. it or they have to be cleaned directly by cleaners in the fuel system

4. egr valve. make sure it is not stuck open

Roy

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Changed the egr valve off of a good running van. Still does the same thing

what about the other items I listed????

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Haven't cleaned injectors, has good even compression. IT REVS UP TO 3,800 RPM very fast AND DOES NOT SPUTTER AT ANY TIME. cuts in and out like it has a REV LIMITER. Idles great, runs perfect at hwy speed under 3,800 rpm. Tack jumps back and forth very quickly. It will run perfect at 3,800 rpm but will not go any faster. I HAVE WORKED ON VEHICLES A LONG TIME BUT CAN'T DO THE NEWER STUFF. Thanks LOST

what is the fuel pressure???