Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
Experience:  Cert. Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years
1609972

I have a 2002 sebring sedan v6 that the ac cools good until

Customer Question

I have a 2002 sebring sedan v6 that the ac cools good until the engine gets to operating temp, then the ac clutch does not engage.The low and high side pressures is near ambient temperatures when compressor is off, and 30-42 low 200- 250 high side when compressor is running.
JA: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?
Customer: No trouble with the transmission shifting, no trouble with the ac clutch slipping as the ac cools whrn the clutch engages
JA: Are you fixing your Sebring yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes I am repairing it myself.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: just what I have told you so far
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  david craig replied 2 months ago.

Hi Im David, with the pressures at or near ambient temp while off, we know the charge is good. with the vehicle running and the ac on, the low side should read 40-45 and cycle down to 20-25. The high side should read 180 ish and cycle up to 215-225 ish.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I dont believe the problem is in the refrigeration side, I think it is a control issue. The car engine cools off and the compressor runs and ac cools the car. But after it warms up the ac compressor does not come on. I tried swapping the ac compressor relay with another also. Both radiator fans run when the compressor runs too.

ok, theres a chance the compressor is overheating, can you duplicate the problem while the car is sitting while running and monitoring the pressures?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the problem can be duplicated in the driveway. The ac pressures stay in the good range, no noises from the compressor when it is running.

and it just shuts off. hmmm let me think about this

I know 250 isnt absurdly high but I am wondering if the pressure switch is shutting it down

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the compressor does not cycle back on. I tried turning the control head to defrost but no change. I tried restarting the car after 2 minutes but the compressor did not come again.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
250 is the max pressure when it was 95-100 degrees and humid

this is true and being that its reaching max pressure, then the pressure switch is doing its job.

standby a few while i pull up my charts.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I inspected the connector and wiring at the transducer on the high side line but found no obvious problem

like i said, the pressure switch seems to be doing its job once the pressure reaches 250

ok, try this. put a floor fan if you have one if front of the condenser while running the ac and monitoring the pressures. see if that does any better

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I tried that too, I have a ac vent in the garage and put the fan by it to blow on the car radiator, but the pressures stayed around 200- 225 on high side, basically near the same.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the compressor cycled off and stayed off

ok, standby please.

what size engine?

2.7?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
2002 sebring, 2.7 v6 4 door sedan.

ok, here is a possibility as I mentioned before and could be whats happening.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
is the thermal limiter switch in the back of the compressor? Is there a way to bypass the thermal switch,example, jumper wire between connector terminals to keep compressor running to verify it has failed.

I imagine there is, never tried. let me see if I can figured it out

disconnect the switch and put a jumper in the connector

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok, give me 10-15 minutes. I will run it until it quits, then put a 15amp fused jumper wire in the thermal switch connector and see if the compressor comes back on.

ok.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok. today is 75 degrees outside and the ac is working. drove it 5 miles. let me try this afternoon when it heats up to 85-90.

ok. ill be here

hows it going?