sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I have a 2006 300C and replaced all the front end suspension

Customer Question

hi, i have a 2006 300C and replaced all the front end suspension parts 6 months ago. drove well. Now all of a sudden i hit a bumb at freewat speeds and stats a violent shaking that does not stop until I slow down to 40mph. (threw off the wheel weight) I had the tires re-balanced and alignment checked. and it drives ok a low speeds, but it happened again!
JA: How has the ride been lately? Have you noticed any fluid under the car?
Customer: no
JA: Are you fixing your 300C yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: mechanic, not dealer
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: i took it back yesterday and put it on the lift and all the front end parts look good
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Mechanic01 replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required.

So the best thing to do is jack up the front end and check for worn parts, I can walk you through the process when your ready

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I replaced 6 control arms, 2-stabilizer bar link, 4 tie rods, both struts and both shocks about 6 months ago. everything seems ok, also new tires and engine mounts. I took it back to the mechanic yesterday and he put it on the lift (both weight on tire and weight off tire) they looked and touched and grabbed all suspension parts and declared that they saw no breaks, bad bushings or anything unusual. The car does not wobble when braking at low speads and the steering wheel does not wobble at high speed,,,,

so your saying when it wobbles your steering wheel is fine and you cant feel anything in the wheel?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the car drives fine, no wobble in the steering wheel,,,,yesterday on the 605 north I took the offramp to the 60E and in the curve there was a pot hole. As soon as I hit the pothole the front end starts shaking and vibrating,,,,loud and very noticeable and scary to be honest. I steered thru the curve and the shaking did not stop until i got down to 40MPH. I don't recall if I was lightly braking during the turn (curve) or not.

Thats very interesting, im going to opt out and let the other techs read this to see if they can provide some insight,

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The shake is caused by something in the front end not being tight enough, whether it's an actual worn component or bushings that are too soft.

Where did the replacement parts come from?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i bought MOOG parts from ROCKAUTO
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the mechanic said that he checked the steering knuckle yesterday when it was on the lift.

All joints should be checked to make sure nothing is loose and all fasteners should be checked to ensure nothing was left loose during the repair. If all joints are ok, the tires are in good condition and properly inflated, then this is going to be related to the quality of the replacement parts. The bushing compound in the aftermarket control arms and/or tension struts is likely causing this.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
after 6 months one or more bushings in the control arms and/or tension struts have failed?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
how can you determine which one? is there a telltale sign?

Yes, either something has failed and is loose or the issue is due to the lower quality of the bushings and they're allowing too much movement. This is common with aftermarket suspension parts.

Determining what is wrong is going to require in person inspection by something familiar with suspension work and this vehicle in particular. A dealer would be the best choice.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I see. Well I'll have to give the mechanic (been going there 10+years) the first option to re-inspect i guess

It's definitely going to require further inspection.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok, thanks, i'm going there right now

You're welcome!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
he said that all the control arms were replaced 6 total with MOOG and i've driven 5,000 miles since and he sees nothing wrong with the arms or the bushings. He also the the tension strut looks good. I'm puzzled. I;m going to contact ROCKAUTO to see if they have had similar issues.

I'm not sure they're going they're going to tell you anything. They sell some of the cheapest parts at the lowest prices and this is expected. There is a reason products are cheaper than others, it's because of the quality of materials, engineering and workmanship.

As I mentioned it would be best to see a dealer rather than the shop that continues to tell you that there is nothing wrong when there obviously is.