Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
Experience:  Cert. Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years
1609972

I was able to get a 1 -1/16 crank bolt out of another 1998

Customer Question

I was able to get a 1 -1/16 crank bolt out of another 1998 gran am. Mine is probable in my garage hidden untill I find it. Now I have a new problem. It concerns the 8mm bolt that goes thru the timing gears into the engine block. I am installing another brand new water pump . I have not had to disturb the timing . The crank lines up with the punch mark on the block. I was expecting my 8mm bolt to slip into the camshaft gear hole into the engine block. However the 8mm bolt will not go any further past the camshaft gear and not into the hole in the engine block. I checked the dia. of the 8mm bolt and its .308 so it near a 8mm size. Seems the 8mm camshaft gear hole is not perfectly aligned with the 8mm engine block hole. I suspected the cam bearing might be worn so I took a ply bar and with moderate pressure tried to check for "play" but found no play. I tried to insert the largest drill bit into the cam, engine holes but the best I can do is a .268 bit. Some how the can gear got out of align with the engine block holes. What do you think happened for this to occur? Further checking into the chain tensioner revealed the tensioner piston was not up tight against the chain shoe leaving slack in the chain . The tensioner piston look like its retracted into the body. The top chain guide between the 2 can gears was broken into 3 parts. I replaced it. This tightened up some slack of the chain. The chain is a new one with about 30,000 mile. Thank you in advance.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  David Gieswein replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I can help. It sounds like you are working on the 4cylinder 2.4L, is that correct?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Exactly. I think during the last 30,000 miles the new chain caught partially and broke the top guide and pushed back the plunger into the tensioner body. I am putting in a 2nd water pump but the cam gear holes are not allowing enough room to install a 8mm stud into the engine block holes to lock them in place. I can get a.271 drill bit to insert.thru the cam gear hole into the block hole . The gears appear to be about .038 off alignment from the engine block holes.

You can use the big bolts that mount the sprocket to the camshaft to turn the sprocket until they line up. Leave the top guide out and maybe even the tensioner guide too to allow for enough slack to install the chain. As long as your 8mm bolts are in the holes and the crank marks line up you are golden.

Basically, turn the sprockets until you can fit the 8 mm bolts in and then install the chain

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Your not liistening closely to my description of the problem. The 8mm stud will go thru the can gear hole but not into the engine block hole. No matter which way I move the casmshaft gear ato the right or left a fraction the 8mm will not slip into the engine block hole. The only size is a .268 drill bit and that slippy allowing the gears to move rt or left. The crank is line up exactly with the punch mark on the motor block so the alingment should be near perfecrt . Still the 8mm will not go thru both the camshaft gear into the engine block hole because they ere fractionaly mis aligned. Why do you think the tensioner piston was retracted intp the body and the top guide was broken. This motor had a jerk possible causing mis alignment. Pass this on to Eric as I do not see you grasping the roblem
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Mr David Gieswein, I am writing you to let you know I made an error . I was trying to insert the 8mm pins into the cam holes with the crank shaft in the exhaust stroke position with the holes at the top of the gear. I discovered my mistake and want to tell you you were correct in that the pin 8mm will fit. You had no way of knowing nor did I that the cam gear was 180* out of time causing mis alignment and the pins not to fit.

Oh well that will do it. I am glad you figured it out. Sorry I couldn't help you sir. If there is anything else I can help you with please ask. I just completely rebuilt a 2.4L in my 2000 grand am and it runs really smooth.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have had 4 cyl push rod motors in GM and Triumph sport tr3 cars. The 2.4 runs like a get away car from a bank hiest. I would put one in one of today 's sports cars or my old tr3 if I still owned it So much horse and rpms out of a 146 cubic motor..

Just remember to keep an eye on that temp gauge and the cooling fans. My BCM when out and caused head gasket to blow. The BCM sends a signal to the PCM to turn the cooling fan relays on.