TECHPRO49
TECHPRO49, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner at Baltic investments
99232115

My 2005 Pacifica is stuck in park. It appears this happens a

Customer Question

My 2005 Pacifica is stuck in park. It appears this happens a lot on Pacificas as I see on the internet. How to get it out of park??? I cant even tow to get it fixed. Was there a recal on this????
JA: I'm the Chrysler Mechanic's Assistant. I work with them to help customers like you.
Customer: any idea how to help me?
JA: Do you have brake lights? Have any trouble codes popped up?
Customer: No codes. forgot to check brake lights
JA: What is the model of your '05 Chrysler?
Customer: pacifica
JA: Are you fixing your Pacifica yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have tried to hold the brake and I can get it to reverse, but it won't stay there. If i don't put the break on then it wouldn't move past park. I had to get a ride to work. SO i don;t have the car here. I would like my son to fix the pacifica if he can. going to be hard to tow out of a slanted driveway in park
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just that no codes or nothing odd happened and then it all of a sudden didn't go into gear.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  TECHPRO49 replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required.

1. Test the brake lamp switch input to the Integrated Power Module (IPM). This can be done with a compatible scan tool or by testing the wire at the C9 connector, pin 20. This is a White/Dark Green wire. This wire should have battery voltage with the brakes pressed.

2. Remove the console assembly to access the shift assembly. Remove the 2 wire Brake Transmission Shift Solenoid (BTSI) electrical connector. Place a test light across the two wires. Step on the brake and release the brake. The test light should turn on and off while doing this.

3. If it does turn the test light on and off, remove the shift cable. If the shifter still can not be moved replace the shift assembly.