Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

I got the error P0740, my machine tested show solinoids

Customer Question

I got the error P0740, my machine tested show solinoids issue, but not sure is the Transmission solinoid outside or pressure solinoid inside the transmission? How to find out and how much cost to fix it? And is it worth to fix for this old car or better buying a new one?
JA: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Chrysler Mechanic's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require). How many miles are on the car? Do you have scan tool or a code reader?
Customer: Yes I have scan tools that is showing TCC transmission Solinoid malfunction? car with mil is 175000 mils
JA: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?
Customer: 2002 LXi V6 3.8L; car really smoth I like it, that is why I attempt to find out is it worth to fix?
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No I don't know how to fix, prefered the automechanics or the shop
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: if he is near my local residence; I am living in Lewisville TX 75067
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Why taking too long to get your answer...
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

What is your vin number? I can give you common/possible causes, testing/repair info, and costs at a shop. Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't have Vin number, my car si at home, and I am at work.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
justanswer get me paid for a fee and now you ask anothe; forget all that...
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

We can continue without vin if you would like or I can put in refund request?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
what do you mean? I need to find out what parts and how much it cost to fix? I don't need the diagnos or listen to the engine noise etc.. my car just running find except that error, no noise, reverse gear is fine, shift forwards is OK but running is little shaking
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

No problem, I was just making sure you wanted to continue with service P0740 sets when the PCM detected the engine speed was not within 60 rpm of ISS speed with the TP angle less than 30 degrees. This can be caused by many things such as dirty transmission fluid, worn clutches inside transmission, torque converter, or torque converter clutch solenoid. If vehicle seems to run fine I would just drive it as is otherwise repair could get expensive. The solenoid assembly is on the outside of transmission and is about a hour labor and $250 for part so round $350 total to have replaced at a shop. Here is info from manual related to code so you can see what a shop would do to diagnose and what possible problems could be. I'm sure answer isn't quite as simple as you were hoping, please do not leave me a negative ratings due to the news. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i0iw911pqen599l/p0740.pdf?dl=0