Mike V.v
Mike V.v, Technician
Experience:  25 years automotive experience all makes and models, Subaru and Nissan factory trained.
2921078

Overheated, upper radiator hose is hard and hot, lower hose

Customer Question

overheated
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?
Customer: upper radiator hose is hard and hot, lower hose is cold and soft
JA: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?
Customer: 2011 chrysler town and country 3.8
JA: Are you fixing your Town and Country yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: flush radiator, check termostat, flush coolant system
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: i dont know how to check if waterpump is ok
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Mike V.v replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and respond with the assistance you need!

Expert:  Mike V.v replied 3 months ago.

Typically this would indicate a problem with the thermostat on the car. If that tested good, then I think the next step would have to be a combustion test on the coolant. Make sure there aren't any exhaust gases in it causing the car to overheat. The combustion test is a chemical test that will change colors if there is any exhaust in the coolant. It could possibly be an issue with one of the head gaskets.

As for checking the water pump, other then remove it and check the impellers there isn't a lot you can do. They will usually leak if there is a problem however.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!