sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

My wife's 2004 PT Turbo has had some trouble light issues.

Customer Question

My wife's 2004 PT Turbo has had some trouble light issues. First the car stopped running and the code indicated a problem with #1 fuel injector, but that code went away and the car ran okay. Then we got a code P0499 which indicates an issue with the evaporative NVLD selenoid. In addition we have the Trac Off, Brake, and ABS lights on although the car does not have an ABS system.
My regular mechanic suspected that there something wrong with the ECM unit it was causing false readings or some sort of an hour to aluminate warning lights that shouldn't even apply to the vehicle. They wanted a ton of money for a factory new unit so I took it to another place locally that specializes in those kinds of repairs. They suspected it was the wrong ECM since the car does not have those systems. I replace the ECM myself into thousand 14, and realize it had a lifetime warranty so I sent back to the company that sells remanufactured unit out of Florida and they replaced it. However, putting the new unit in makes no difference as the lights are all still on.
The check engine light and associated code needs to be resolved I believe independently, but my big question is what to do about these trouble lights which are coming on when apparently they should not be.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

I don't see anything has been done with the NVLD. The NVLD itself is the most likely cause for the P0499 but it could also be a wiring issue.

How are you determining that the vehicle does not have ABS?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I called the local Chrysler dealer and gave them the Vin number.

Did the ABS light only start coming on after the PCM was replaced?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No the troubles began with the warning lights started to come on. I was advised by my regular mechanic that the computer might be bad, however others have commented that the ABS system is not controlled by the ECM. The company that warranted the ECM did state it found some trouble with the old one but they did not say what that was and shipped me a new remanufactured unit.

Correct, the PCM doesn't have anything to do with ABS.

If it isn't equipped with ABS then the lights are coming on because the instrument cluster was sent data that the vehicle is equipped with ABS but it does not see an ABS module communicating in the bus. This was unusually caused by a bad keyless entry module, the RKE module and instrument cluster would need to be replaced together to repair it.