Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

All my fuses and relays are good the compressor kicks on…

All my fuses and...

All my fuses and relays are good the compressor kicks on when I run power directly to it when I first start the car the AC blows cold and after 30 seconds it shuts off what is going on

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?

121000 Mi and I haven't had a problem starting it it runs and drives great nothing wrong with it

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?

2007 Chrysler Sebring 2.4 L motor

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sebring yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I'm fixing it myself I bought it wrecked in the front I put an entire front clip on it had it painted new fans new compressor new hoses I have checked all the relays all the fuses changed out 3 AC control switches I can run a hot wire straight to the compressor and it will kick on and blow ice cold AC

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's about it everything else on the car is great

7/21/2017
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David, so the compressor only runs when feeding the clutch connector 12 volts directly?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
when I run a hot wire directly to the compressor it comes on and I filled it up with Freon like that and the AC blows ice cold but when I disconnect the Direct power wire from the compressor it shuts off and when I first start the car the AC will blow for about 30 seconds and cut off I disconnected the battery for an hour hooked it back up the AC blue for about a minute and a half and then cut off

ok, please standby a few. thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No problem
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Really I was going to try to run a wire straight from the compressor to the wire on the back of the AC switch that comes on when you push the button that's all I could come up with

I wouldnt do that because if a pressure switch is bad or expansion valve is faulty you can do more damage. The perfect thing to do would be to have the ac controller module interrogated for fault odes with a DRB3 scan tool.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
you think it's the AC controller module where would that be on the car
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Should I try to change the sensor that is on the aluminum bottle that holds the freon

the control panel. and no i dont think its the problem but it will hold the fault code inside to let you know what is the problem

dont be changing parts and wasting your money, that not the proper way to troubleshoot.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I need to get somebody with the computer to hook it up to the car and see what codes are coming up

yes, it needs to be a scan tool that can get into the ac control module.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do they need to go in there and reset the AC control module or can I get another module or what would be the easiest thing to do I'm trying to sell this car in the AC is the last thing I need to do and I've been messing with this thing for 3 days do you know where the module is or where it goes on the car

first find out what fault codes are stored in the system, then we can determine what needs done

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'll take it to a buddy of mine's shop and have him hook it up to his computer and read me off the codes if I need to get back with you will I have to pay $16 again

no, its a one time fee. i ll be right here

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay thank you very much for your help I'm going to run it to my buddy shop and see what I can figure out and get back with you thanks again how do I get back with you on here I guess I could just go back through my text messages and click on the link and get back to this page I'll figure it out thank you very much

you're welcome. ill be here

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay so I change that temperature sensor that goes on the AC line and it still does the same thing I can run a hot wire straight to the compressor wire and get ice cold AC but it has to be rigged up and I have no idea what else is going wrong can you think of anything else

did he pull any codes from the hvac control module?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yeah my check engine lights on and he put his computer on it it was not showing to have any codes and he put a different computer on it and it just said the high pressure temperature sensor was bad and showed me where it was and I got another one put it on there plugged it in and it still didn't work
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The high output temperature sensor is exactly what it says
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's crazy I've never seen this before I can hook up a hot wire drive around all day with ice cold AC as soon as you unhook the wire nothing
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The code he pulled was p0093

ok.

P0093 is a failure of the fuel pressure system

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
p0073 sorry

ok

ok, so he replaced the ambient temp sensor behind the front grille?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is that the one that tells the temperature of outside or is that the one that bolts to the bottom of the frame rail in the middle of the cooling fans which the third plug on the fan wiring harness goes to

its the one that tells the outside air temp

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No that's not the one we changed I do have that sensor but it's just hanging here it is plugged in but the car was wrecked and I didn't know where it went so I just left it hanging where it is do you think that is going to be the problem
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I mean is that going to make my AC compressor not get power it is there
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the second cooling fan the one for the AC doesn't come on all the way it just spins a little bit but not very much and my AC will stay on for about 30 seconds and then turn off
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the Heat and everything else works on the switches this is just frustrating the hell out of me I've never worked on a car like this

that is absolutely going to affect the ac

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
But is that going to affect the AC compressor not getting power to just the compressor I haven't hooked up to a hot wire right now and it runs just fine ice cold AC is that temperature sensor going to make it not get power?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have it hooked up

let me look at a diagram

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay cuz I have a junkyard I could go to and get another one of those sensors off

its not going to cause the compressor not to run, but it could cause poor cooling performance

you need to start thinking pcm

here is the whole ac circuit

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks I'll check that out and see if I can figure something out I don't know I'm going to try to go to a junkyard and find one just like it and see what's missing off of mine and how everything is wired up thanks for your help

you're welcome.

I have a feeling its going to be the TIPM.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What is that

its the big fuse box panel in the engine compartment

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That would be my luck after everything I've done with this car I got to change the fuse box to I guess I'm just going to have to figure something out thank you for everything

that TIPM causes many many problems. Another brainstorm gone bad by Chrysler

just checking in to see how its going

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Still the same we just bought an avenger 08 and all of the parts except for the body are the same so I'm going to look at it when it gets to the yard tomorrow and see what sensors and what I'm missing by the cooling fan and go from there

ok, ill open this up to the other guys, maybe they have other ideas

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay thank you very much for all your help and checking back with me and everything I really appreciate that
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you still need help?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I still haven't got my AC to come on without running a hot wire directly to the compressor I've just been so busy I haven't had time to stop and answer you guys

Do you still want help diagnosing the problem?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sir absolutely if you know anything that I don't know or I haven't tried I would absolutely love some more advice on what I can do because it is driving me crazy the compressor works I hook up a hot wire to it it blows ice cold AC I start the car without the hot wire hooked up and blows AC for about 30 seconds and then shuts off I was going to run a wire from the compressor to the back of the AC switch so when they push the button it will kick on but I couldn't find a wire that went on and off with the button this car is crazy I bought it wrecked at the auction fixed it put it all back together and this is the last thing I need to get done before I can sell it

You need to stop connecting the compressor solenoid to battery voltage because you're going to damage it if you haven't already.

With the vehicle assembled correctly disconnect the battery or manually clear codes from all modules. Start the engine and turn on the a/c. After a few minutes again read fault codes. What do you find?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It does the same thing I did all that already I went to the shop and they cleared all the codes they said there was no codes and it to clear they hooked up another computer it said one of the AC sensors on the hose was bad so I changed it and I unhook the battery for an hour hooked it back up still do the same thing

So you don't have a scan tool? One will be necessary to proceed with diagnostics.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Nope and I won't be able to get around 1 today I'm really busy with these other cars I have I'll have to get back in contact with you tomorrow when I'm around a computer

Ok.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry I've been in the hospital for a few days I haven't had a chance to work on it I had an airbag go off in a different car and hit me in the back of the head gave me a concussion mess up my neck real bad anyways I still haven't figured out what's wrong with that car I changed all the sensors and have done everything I know possible except for I think I am missing a sensor that goes under the cooling fans on the frame horn in the front of the car I just don't know what it's called I have the thing that reads the temperature and the AC sensors and everything else I don't know what I could be missing I just realized that there is a third plug that went there but is cut from the wreck and the sensor is not there either what would that sensor be called

If the ambient temperature sensor is missing then a/c will be disabled.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I changed the ambient temperature sensor it's the one that tells how hot it is outside right I guess it still doesn't work so I probably have to buy another one

Did you verify the signal is missing using a scan tool and the wiring tested good?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just fixed it everybody kept saying the ambient temperature sensor and I changed it like 3 times but what was wrong with it the wires going into the plug we're not connecting with the sensor so I took the plug off and plug the wires directly onto the sensor and now it works just fine so it was just a wires connected into the connector that were messed up thanks everybody for your help y'all really have great advice and help for me

I'm glad you got it repaired.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician