sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I have a 2002 Town and Country Limited my 10 amp ignition

I have a 2002 Town and Country Limited my 10 amp ignition fuse keeps blowing when ever I put the car in drive and start moving forward the car will idle and seems to reverse and even stay on in drive as long as it's still thinking there might be a problem with the transmission controller I disconnected it and tried limp mode same result as before
JA: Do all the fuses have the correct amperage for the circuits they're in?
Customer: Yes
JA: Are you fixing your Town and Country yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have run countinuity tests between the ignition wires under the string wheel did not find a short then used a salvaged IPM and FCM swap to no avail
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that seems be be where I am at thanks

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The fuse is blowing due to high current draw on the circuit, whether the failure is in a component on the circuit or it's a short to ground in the wiring. Components on the circuit depend on exactly which fuse it is. Some testing will be required to determine the exact cause.

Can you upload a picture showing the fuse that's blowing or describe the exact location in the box?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Fuse 23 or IGN SW the only red fuse in pic

Fuse 23 goes to the ignition switch and then powers the SKIM module, body controller, and front control module.

Did the problem start after any work was done, a jump start, accident, etc?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Just driving at low speed through a shopping area the engine just shut down tried thought it stalled tried to restart wouldn't had to push into parking space checked fuses I keep extra in kit replace started van reversed out of space put van in drive the shut off again luckily there was an auto part store near by replaced fuse this time ran van for about five min before moving reversed then put van in drive shut off again called for a ride replaced fuse and van ran for 25 min while I waited it with ac on (it was hot and raining) when my ride arrived I shut down the van restated to test it out I just put it into drive then it shut down again the only work done resently has been a fuel filter about a month ago

Does it only blow when the key is on?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
far has only happen when on and in drive

The best thing to do at this point would be to bump up the fuse to 10 or 15 amps and then install inline 10 amp fuses in different locations in the circuit to isolate each leg and the components. The issue is somewhere between the ignition switch, IPM, BCM, and SKIM module. If the IPM and FCM have been ruled out then the problem is most likely wiring, and it's more likely to be an issue in the engine compartment going to the IPM.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
will start in morning its after 10 here

Ok.