Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

A/C starts off cold then after about 15 minutes gets warm

Customer Question
and the blower motor speed...
A/C starts off cold then after about 15 minutes gets warm and the blower motor speed is reduced even on high. Also, the noticeable increase in blower motor speed when using the recirculation function is now missing. No change in fan speed regardless of recirc. setting.
JA: Have you checked the Freon level?
Customer: I have not. Just returned from a week long trip. Haven't had a chance. The problem started with the recirculation issue so I was leaning towards the recirculation actuator. But then on this trip we started experiencing the warm air and change in blower motor speed. Would low freon effect blower motor speed?
JA: What is the model of your '15 Chrysler?
Customer: 2009 Chrysler T&C 3.8L engine
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't tried anything yet. Was going to change the actuator myself but then read that the actuator would have to be re-calibrated which apparently takes a diagnostic tool.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Chrysler
Have rear a/c which seems to be functioning properly.
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/8/2017
Chrysler Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution.

So have you had the vehicle scanned for any codes? And no if the vehicle was low on freon it would not effect the blower speeds.

I have not had it scanned for codes. Do not have access to a diagnostic scanner.

So lets work on the blend door issue, I have attached a set of calibration instructions for the actuators, let me know if this fixes the door problem

Where is the file attached? I can't find it.
  1. Turn the ignition switch to the On position.
  2. If equipped with the manual temperature control (MTC) system, press and hold the Rear Wipe/Wash and Recirculation buttons for at least five seconds. If equipped with the automatic temperature control (ATC) systen, simultaneously press and hold the Power and Recirculation buttons on the A/C-heater control for at least five seconds. The MTC A/C-heater control Rear Wipe/Wash button light emitting diode (LED) and Recirculation button LED, or the ATC A/C-heater control Delay and Recirculation graphics will begin to flash when the calibration procedure has begun.
  3. The calibration procedure should take less than two minutes to complete for the manual A/C-heater control, and less than twenty seconds for the ATC A/C-heater control. When the LEDs or graphics stop flashing, the calibration procedure is complete.
  4. If the LEDs or graphics continue to flash beyond the two minute (manual) or twenty second (ATC) calibration time, it indicates that the A/C-heater control has detected a failure and a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) has been set. Refer to Body Diagnostic Procedures to perform further diagnosis. The LEDs or graphics will continue to flash even after the ignition switch is cycled Off and On, until a successful calibration is completed or until the vehicle has been driven about 13 kilometers (8 miles).

Sorry about that I thought it sent

I think my files are not the same as your vehicle, ill open this up to the other techs to see if they have more information about the matter

Chrysler Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The decrease in air volume and vent temperature warming up were likely due to evaporator freeze up or a physical blockage from debris.

Have you checked to see if it's equipped with a cabin filter, and if so have you checked the filter's condition?

There is no cabin filter. What about the recirculation door not operating properly? During our trip through the NC mountains this past week, we were getting "fog" from the vents when driving through rain. My guess is that it was due to the warm moist outside air mixing with the cool air from the A/C and the inability to close the outside air door.

The recirc door not working is either due to the actuator itself, the door may be broken or there could be a wiring or control head issue preventing the actuator from moving. The most likely cause would be the actuator or the door itself. You can remove the actuator and physically check the door to see if it is broken. If not then odds are it will need an actuator.

It's possible that the door is broken and has fallen onto the blower motor inlet, also causing the lack of airflow.

I will remove the actuator and check the door tomorrow. Do you know if there is a way to calibrate the actuator(s) if I don't have a scan tool? The method mentioned above does not work. You can refer to the pictures above to see the system I have. Also the air flow is not restricted all of the time. When first starting the A/C, the fan will run on high and blow as it should. After about 15 minutes however, the flow is reduced and the temperature increases. There seems to be no change at any time when activating the recirculation door.

You can try a battery disconnect to see if the control head will enter calibration after battery power is restored.

Replaced the recirculation air door actuator this afternoon. Hooked the battery back up. If it went into a recalibration mode I couldn't tell it. Still no audible difference with recirculation activated like normal. So problem continues. Next?

Was the door checked for breakage and to see if it would move by hand?

I can't find a diagram of the door so I couldn't remove and check for breakage. Can't even find a part listing for the door to see what it looks like. Do you have a breakdown or diagram and instructions on removing the door to check? If it is broken, where would I get one?

The actuator connects to the door. You said you replaced the actuator?

Replaced the actuator. If I could get a breakdown of how the door is installed then I could remove the actuator and then maybe remove the door. Just didn't want to go too far with no breakdown or proper instructions.

You can't remove the door without removing the dash. It's serviced in the air inlet housing.

What you wanted to do was remove the actuator and see if the door would move by hand.

OK. I'll remove it again and try to move the door. The actuator has a special splined male portion that goes into the door. Do you have a "trick" to move it? Special tool or "homemade" tool to use?

You can move the door with your fingers or carefully with pliers or something similar. It should take very little effort to move.

I've got fat fingers but I'll try to figure something out. If I can't move it, it sounds like from what you say either a dealer job or a very in-depth job of removing the dash to get at everything. If I have to go that far I will definitely need instructions on how to remove the dash to get to everything. Do you have access to that information?

I can type up the procedure as a premium service if you wish.

Let me see if I can move the door first. What does "premium service" mean?

I can send an offer for extended question/answer time if you'd like the procedure.

Is there a consumer type scanner tool that will perform the A/C recalibration procedure or is that strictly a dealer function only?

Aftermarket scan tools will also have the capability, most independent shops could do it if you don't have access to a dealer.

Do you have a recommendation for one in particular say in the $200.00 or less range?

That would be a generic code reader. An actual scan tool will start in the $2-2,500 area for an entry level unit.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician