Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2001 pt cruiser with automatic tranny; cruise control

2001 pt cruiser with...

2001 pt cruiser with automatic tranny; cruise control doesn't work. dealership said it was control switch. $350 to replace and functions no better. Now telling me its the PCM; supposedly somebody changed it out and put in a used one from a stick shift car. that sounds totally bogus and what would a PCM have to do with cruise control? Car drives fine

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuse? What size is your engine?

Its not the fuse. my regular mechanic replaced pretty much everything (in some cases used parts). the cruise sort of works-- might take 3-10 tries to set and then it can hold for anywhere from 3 to 30 miles

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your PT Cruiser yourself? What have you tried so far?

My mechanic changed brake switches, servo, and all the typical "fail" items. He said take it to a dealership which would have a 10 K Chrysler diagnostic computer he lacked . they came up with the cruise control switch on steering wheel which did nothing

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Well I can randomly replace parts a lot cheaper than a dealership who apparently doesn't even run diagnostics as far as I can tell how much is the full consult

7/7/2017
Gunvir Singh

Hello, let me get some info. Please stand by.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay

Do you also have the engine light on too?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't think so but car is at dealer. I am thinking maybe used servo bad? I can buy reman pre programmed to VIN for 120 to 130. Do you think servo? Do you think my car would even run and drive fine with a standard trans pcm?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry switched gears on u. I can buy a new new servo for around 90$ and reman PCM for around $ 120

I have personally replaced pcm to fix cruise control issues. The pcm gets the input from the cruise control switch and sends it to the controller.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thanks. They were quoting around $600 for PCM. Since they wasted a couple hundred already I plan to pay the $600 IF they guarantee working cruise

You're welcome and good luck with your vehicle, And please don’t forget to rate my performance in the upper left corner otherwise i don’t get compensated. Thank you and have a blessed day.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There was one question not answered. Would my automatic trans vehicle even operate if a prior mechanic put in a manual trans pcm?

No, it will not.

Gunvir Singh