Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

2006 Chrysler Sebring convertible engine starts and runs.

2006 Chrysler Sebring convertibleengine starts...
2006 Chrysler Sebring convertibleengine starts and runs. headlights, turn signals, wipers, radio do not work when ignition is on but work when key is in accessory position.Changed switch assembly with junkyard part, same problem.battery is fully charged. will powering down and powering up again reset body control module? Is this even associated with the body control module? If the engine runs where is the power for the accessories divorced from the ignition circuit?hope you can help me troubleshoot and fix this problem.Don Keener
7/2/2017
Chris (aka - Moose)

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I'm here to help 365 days a year, but not every hour of the day. I try to prevent delays as much as possible. Please understand I am not there and can only advise based on what you tell me. Let's get started.

Sorry I nor any other techs have gotten to you sooner. If help is still needed, I am online now and will be again around noon on Sunday.

Hi,If you have read my question then you understand my dilemma. I don't have much more to say at this point I'm just waiting for your reflection. I realize your best ideas don't happen right away sometimes you have to think about them. I don't know where just answer got the idea that I was in a great big hurry I'm not. What do you thinks wrong?Don

We treat all customers as if they are in a hurry. Sometimes there are just not enough techs online and sometimes just to many questions. We shoot for a first response in 30 minutes or less.

Do you understand wire testing and using a volt meter?

Hi,Something I told you was incorrect. The headlights which actually works but the bright them on the stick does not work when the ignition is on but it does work when the assessor is on. I hope this helps youDon

Hi,Yes I understand testing for meters and no meters and such. One of the problems is schematic diagrams are not available nor our test points available to know where they are. That's one of the reasons I gotten touch with you guys. I'm hoping you can leave me in the right direction. I'm wondering if it's a fuse up in the engine compartment that's blown. Are you aware of such a fuse? I would Do this by email because I'm old and I don't absorb telephone conversations very well. When it's in print I can go back and read it and study it and work with it. Thank you again.Don

I do have all the wire diagrams and will post them if we get to that point. Lets do some tests first.

Fuses 5 and 14 under the left side of the dash. Are they powered with the key in accessory and are they powered with the key in run?

Hi,I will try this tomorrow. It is 2 o'clock in the morning here and I have to get to bed so that I can go to work. But I will try what you said and get back to you thank you.Don

Thanks Don

Hi,Number five has power both in the accessory position and in the on position that is the power mirrors number 14 only has power in the accessory position it does not have power in the on position thank you I have to go to work at 1:30 and right now it is 1108. So you can just leave a message and when I get home tonight at 2 o'clock in the morning I'll take the next step. By the way I work at Summit racing on Monday tomorrow morning if I know by then that it is the ignition switch underneath the ignition lock we carry those in stock those and I can buy one at my cost let me knowDon

At the ignition switch back probe and check the black/white wire just as you did fuse 14. If you only get power in ACC and not in RUN, then the ignition switch is to blame.

Please make sure to rate my answer prior to logging off, as this is how I get credit for helping you. If you have not yet received 5 star excellent service from me. Please follow up so you get everything from me that you expected from the deposit you have already paid, which I get nothing of till you rate me. Rating does not close the post nor prevent replying at a later date.

Thanks Moose

Hi,I'm not familiar with getting to the back of that ignition switch can you coach me a little bit on what I need to do in order to uncover the ignition switch so that I can probe it? Is it under the column cover do I have to take the wheel off to get the switch out like I say I've not taken one of those out. Thanks very much.Don

You are not following all of these steps, just the ones to disassemble the column enough to get to the ignition switch.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/70l9na29medxo1m/sebringignition.pdf?dl=0

Hi Chris,I am even further confused now that I'm at work and look some of the stuff up. There is a switch activator pin assembly and then there is a ignition starter switch module made by Standard Motor Products #US269 ( pictured on eBay) are there other switches involved? I wish I could see where these things were and how to get them out. Do you have any information on that and are there other switches or is it the ignition switch the ignition starter switch module that we would be looking at?Thanks again.Don
Hi Chris,I see that you did send some instructions to me via a PDF file but I'm not sure what the drop off boxes I clicked on it and it said that I could not open that file do you have a another way to send this file to me? Let me know.Don
I do get ahead of myself. I can see how to check the wires on it now simply pulling the bottom cover off it should expose the pigtail leads and I will check it and if the switch is bad then I will have to pull the wheel in order to get it off as I see it I was able to download the dropbox app and install it and I see the informational that you sent through there I'll let you know if that fixes it and then we will get you paid.Don

Keep in touch Don

Chris

Hi Chris,In the accessory position the black and white wire has power in the ignition on position the black and white wire has no powerDon
It looks like the screw that holds it to the column is a very special screw a torques with the pin in the center of it can I assume that if I take that screw out I'll be able to get the ignition switch off of here without any more disassembly?

That screw is called a tamper proof torx. You can purchase that tool online so you can remove and replace the tested and proven faulty ignition switch.

Chris (aka - Moose)
Hi Chris,Of course I don't need to tell you a brand-new ignition switch fixed the problem. Hooray hooray for you especially.I have a couple questions. When I took the ignition switch off, I noticed that the lock actuator had a very thin plastic extension that extended into the switch. there was what appeared to be a break off point on that as well. I was very careful not to break it and it went together very nicely but I wonder what that small slim extension is for. what does it do?I'm 71 years old but I'm still inquisitive. Could you please tell me other than your direct experience what trouble shooting techniques you used? I'm sure you had ignition schematic diagrams to look at and possibly pictorial diagrams as well as troubleshooting charts. Are they something that you can share with me so that I can actually learn from the experience? Right now I just feel like an extension of a voltmeter and a screwdriver handle but I would like to learn as well. Thank you very much for the positive experience. I am sure this would've been very costly at the dealership. It perplexed me but now that I think about it - it pointed to an a ignition switch issue but with today's circuitries body control modules etc. I just plain wasn't sure where to start. Thanks again Chris and let me know if I need to do anything else to make sure you get credit and payment.Warm regards,Dan KeenerSALEM Ohio

That extension, I do not have an answer. I would need to see it and study it for a while to figure out why it is needed.

Process of diag:

Of the issues, the radio is the easiest to diagnose

So I asked about the fuses which power it.

Once I got confirmation fuse 14 was not powered in RUN

I looked up what powers fuse 14, which is the ignition switch.

I diagnose most concerns here through wire diagrams. Once you know how wiring works and how sensors and switches and relays work it is then pretty easy to diagnose and fix. I did not use pinpoint tests for this concern. Just 2 different wire diagrams for radio and ignition switch.

Glad its fixed.

Chris (aka - Moose)
Chris (aka - Moose)
Chris (aka - Moose), Technician