Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Second opinion] 2002 pt cruiser the alternator registers 0%

Customer Question

Second opinion] 2002 pt cruiser the alternator registers 0% while idling and 25% when reved up and the battery shows 75% down to 20% and there are several ground wires that have apparently been cut. what should I check?
JA: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?
Customer: 2.4L 4 cylender 133,000
JA: Are you fixing your PT Cruiser yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes im going to be working on it, ive been doing my research before diving into it, i dint want to mess anything up or make unnecessary costly repairs.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: the first time it wouldnt turn over it made a loud rapid clicking sound, im not sure exactly where it came from and every time i started it after that it very sluggishly turned over, but i didnt let it sit for too long without starting it. and i was able to jump start it the first time when it clicked. I think thats it.
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I started my car and it had a very sluggish turn over, i removed the negative battery cable and the car still ran. I returned to cables to the battery and it went to 11.5 volts when the car was off, I started it again, same sluggish start its had and the voltage went down to 8, turned it off and it jumped to 14.6 volts. And i was told when i touched the multimeter to the body and the other to the battery and it steadily beeped at me that it meant that there was a wire touching the body, possible an ungrounded wire.
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 4 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.
I will do my best to assist you.

from the way you explain the problem,,it sounds as if you may need a new alternator

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
thats what i thought but the car still runs without the battery cables connected
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
what are other things i should check for?

the regulator is in the computer[pcm] on this one

what you need to do is a load test on the charging system.

auto zone and most parts stores will do this test for free,,

this will determine if it is the battery or the alternator causing the problem

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
can i do the test myself?

you can if you have a charging system load tester

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok a multimeter or a charger/voltage meter is not the same thing?

no..the load tester will put a strain on the system by putting a load on it

stand by,,i will upload some tests you may be able to do

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok thats going to take a while i have to put it back together and pray it makes it the 25 miles

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there. please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER ,Chrome or Firefox.]

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wx4pemu6jkls3gx/0617-pt-CHARGING.doc?dl=0

.

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

thanks

.

www.dropbox.com/s/wx4pemu6jkls3gx/0617-pt-CHARGING.doc?dl=0

.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the car is throwing no codes at all, all it says is done

ok

you need to do a load test..again,most parts stores will do that for free

thanks