Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
Experience:  Cert. Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years
1609972

2002 pt cruiser the alternator registers 0% while idling and

Customer Question

2002 pt cruiser the alternator registers 0% while idling and 25% when reved up and the battery shows 75% down to 20% and there are several ground wires that have apparently been cut. what should I check?
JA: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?
Customer: 2.4L 4 cylender 133,000
JA: Are you fixing your PT Cruiser yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes im going to be working on it, ive been doing my research before diving into it, i dint want to mess anything up or make unnecessary costly repairs.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: the first time it wouldnt turn over it made a loud rapid clicking sound, im not sure exactly where it came from and every time i started it after that it very sluggishly turned over, but i didnt let it sit for too long without starting it. and i was able to jump start it the first time when it clicked. I think thats it.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  david craig replied 4 months ago.

Hi Im David, get it started and check the voltage on the battery while its running

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok ill need just a little bit, its raining at the moment. I didnt realize this was a step by step process.