Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

My 2000 Town & Country Van has Steering problems. I replaced

Customer Question
My 2000 Town & Country...
My 2000 Town & Country Van has Steering problems. I replaced Rack & Pinion, also intermediate shaft & steering column. But steering wheel shifts to left when transmission shifts into high greer.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Chrysler
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/15/2017
Chrysler Mechanic: Edward, Technician replied 5 months ago
Edward
Edward, Technician

Hello, and thanks for your question, my name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

So your experiencing some torque steer? meaning the steering wheel only acts odd when you give the engine gas or the transmission downshifts, but going downhill with little to no acceleration it is fine correct?

Can you tell me if the engine mounts and transmission mounts have ever been changed? usually this torque steer is a symptom of weak engine or transmission mounts that let the front axles move to much under acceleration.

Get somebody inside to stand on the brake and put the E brake on fully, and get them to shift it from Reverse to Drive giving it about 1/4 throttle in both gears and you watch the engine, if it moves more than about 2 inches either way, then I would replace the mounts.

I will contact you Monday, June 19, 2017 when I am off.

Alright, sounds good.

Let us know if you have any further questions. Thank you.

Edward
Edward
Edward, Technician