Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

Sunroof trying to close but only moves 1 inch the opens

Customer Question

sunroof trying to close but only moves 1 inch the opens again
JA: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?
Customer: 2012 town and country
JA: Are you fixing your Town and Country yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I printed out a reset procedure but since the roof is open it doesn't work
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

It sounds like it is reversing for pinch protection.When the roof detects an obstruction it will move like this here.In some cases all that is needed is to clean the sun roof track and lubricate it to correct this.If this was not attempted this should be done.If this was attempted this may be an issue with a damaged or broken track piece causing the pinch protection issue.If cleaning and lubricating does not resolve the fault then I would have the track inspected to locate and repair the issue with it.In some cases this requires taking down the head liner inside the vehicle to remove the track for inspection unfortunately.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
track is ok, I just decided to pull on the glass as I pushed the close switch and I got it closed but am afraid to use it for fear it will do the same thing
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

It is possible it will act up the same way again when opening.Usually what causes this since the track is o.k. is a weak motor or debris in the track that needs cleaned out and lubricated.The decision is up to you if you want to open it again or just leave it closed but most likely one of these above will have to be done to correct this issue here.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
what type of lubricant should I use on the slides
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

I apologize for the delay.

You can use a white lithium grease you can purchase at any local parts store.

Thanks Pete