Edward
Edward, Technician
Experience:  I have over 20 years experience in the automotive service industry.
29534642

One question- 2002 Chrysler Town Country van. A/C Not cold.

Hello one question- 2002 Chrysler Town Country van. A/C Not cold. connected gauges and it does show to have freon. Checked power at pressure switch no power. switch is a three prong wire.

Hello, and thanks for your question, my name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Can you tell me if fuse 18 out under the hood, (blue 15 amp) is good and has power to it with the key ON?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for answering. yes fuse does have power as well as a/c clutch relay

If you pull the relay out and jump 30 to 87 in the relay socket, does the A/C clutch cycle then?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
okay. yes clutch cycles

OK that's good, Do you have a digital volt meter by chance?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

We need to check 5 volt reference signal to the PINK/YELLOW wire in that 3 wire sensor . should have 5 volts on when measured with red lead on PINK/YELLOW and black lead on NEG. battery terminal or some good clean engine metal.

You have a PINK/YELLOW wire in the harness that goes to the 3 prong switch right?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
5.48v

Alright, that is good.

the BLUE/GREEN wire, see if you have 5 ohms or less straight to ground.

Did you try another relay by chance? in the power distribution box?

If not, plug up your 3 prong switch and swap the AC relay with the horn or turn signal relay, ( I think one of them is the same relay) and see if it works then. Let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
2.04 to 0.00 ohms.. I swapped relays and started it but clutch does not engage

OK, that is right, it's got reference voltage from the ECM, and it's got ground, the other wire goes back to the ecm, did you try another switch yet?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Three prong switch?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
can i jump that three prong switch and see if clutch engages? just to rule out switch.

Right, let me post the wiring diagram, is it 3.3 or 3.8L? and is it automatic climate control or manual climate control? manual will have red/blue colors I believe and automatic will have numbers.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
3.8L
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Automatic. Display window
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have not tried another switch yet. does system need to be evacuated to replace switch?

No it's got a schrader valve on it.

just unscrew it quick.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
must be a low pressure switch then

It's a 3 wire transducer, so you can't just ground it, it's a varying signal to the PCM, I don't want to tell you to start jumping anything there because it could possibly cause some damage to the PCM, Here is the wiring diagram.

wiring diagram.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
let me run to autozone right quick (4 blocks away) and buy a switch. i will get back with you

disconnect neg. battery cable and unplug and plug back in the PCM a few times. make sure no corrosion or bad connection there. measure pin 1 to pin 2 on the sensor itself when it's unplugged, (that would be PINK/YELLOW to BLUE/GREEN) make sure it's not completely open. Let me know what happens.

If PINK/YELLOW to BLUE/GREEN pin on the transducer is completely open, it's bad transducer. (or 3 prong switch)

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Replaced switch. compressor still not engaging
What kind of scan tool do you have? Can you check codes in the climate control system?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
snap on solus ultra... one question, do you think i might be low on freon?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
would it be okay to jump at relay just to see pressures and see if im low?
But don't run it long if the fan doesn't come on. Watch your high side over 250 psi
Can you check climate control module codes?

I'm gonna have to grab some dinner, will be back asap. Let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Relay jumped. low side 47psi high side 247psi ambient temp. 89
That's good, cold inside right?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
but works only with jumper. when i put relay back on compressor does not engage
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Also fans come on right away with jumper. not with relay on but of course it probably has not reached a certain temp... But yes right away with jumper
Unplug and plug in the ECM a few times, the ECM grounds the relay, so 1 pin in the relay socket should be grounded when you cut the air on. Check the diagram for wire color.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Where is the ecm?

sorry about that delay, it is near the battery as in this diagram.

The Light BLUE/ORANGE wire that goes from pin 64 from the ECM is supposed to ground the A/C relay at 85. So if you want to unplug the ECM and find the Light BLUE/ORANGE wire, it should read less than 5 ohms to pin 85 in the relay socket.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
oh its that big block attached to the fuse box? with two multy wire connectors?

That's it. sorry about that delay I had a birthday party at a restaurant and had to drive back and only had cell service. thanks.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok. let me unplug both multi wire connectors to find that light blue orange wire.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is it on the top connector or bottom?

If you can see it in the harness, leave it plugged up and see if you get a ground on it when you cut the air on, by putting your red lead on battery positive terminal and your black lead through the wire somewhere. If you do and you don't at the relay socket, that wire is broken between relay socket and the ECM, if you don't get a ground at all, then Either the A/C control panel is bad and not sending a signal that your requesting the air conditioning, or the ECM is bad. Because we've checked everything else.

pin 64 on the gray connector. as in this diagram.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok let me go check on that
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok connected ohm meter to pin 64 and pin 85 at relay socket and nothing
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Its getting late. This is leading me to a broken wire i believe. i will stop for today and continue in the morning.

That is BLUE and ORANGE right? I gotcha, If your showing open circuit though, that's gonna be the culprit run you a new wire from 3 or 4 inches back from the ECM and 3 or 4 inches back from the relay socket and it maybe will fix it, or try to find the break measuring 2 or 3 inches at a time from pin 64 to back in the harness by poking through it slightly to hit the wire 2 inches at a time. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok this morning i got behind relay box and ohmd light blue wire with orange with light blue with orange at ecm and yes its showing connectivity. Then i plug connector back behind relay box and check at pin 85 and nothing
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i think you read the wiring diagram better than i do, so im going to ask you are you sure its pin 85?

So your showing an open circuit between pin 85 in the relay socket, (with the relay removed) and pin 64 at the ECM ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
correct

It is definitely 85 on the relay that goes to the ECM that gets a ground when the air compressor is supposed to cut on.

OK then that is a problem, If you restore the connection between 85 in the relay socket and pin 64 at the ECM, then I believe you will get your compressor function back.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I do get a reading behind the box at connector but not on top at socket

Is that fuse box all moulded together like the new ones are? or can you turn it over and see where the wires go into the relay socket pins?

check all the relay sockets for a reading. just to make sure your not confusing 85 with any of those other pins in that A/C relay socket, you are 100% sure your checking the A/C relay correct? just wanna make sure.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Unfortunately its molded. With about 8 multi wire connectors
Customer: replied 4 months ago.

It's sounding to me like your going to need that entire fuse box. From what your reading it sounds like to me it's got an open circuit in it.

If you check the resistance between the pin where BLUE/ORANGE plugs in at the bottom that goes to the ECM and pin 85 in the A/C relay socket and show more than 5 ohms, It's gotta be open in the box. Right?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
From bottom of box to top no reading
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
bottom of box pin on box to top relay socket no reading

I follow you, you might could run jumpers from the relay socket to the bottom of the relay to give you enough room to run a new wire to pin 85 from the ECM, but I think it would be easier just to put a another fuse box on it.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Good idea. Some way i need to keep these people going. They"re from out of town and want to leave this afternoon
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Fuse box expensive?

I have seen wires running out of relay sockets before, but it's not exactly what I would call the best repair. but, you could get a fuse tap maybe. looks like this probably fix it for a while anyway.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
okay. I hate to log you out just yet because you have been of great help. You already deserve an excellent reading but could you hang around for me just in case i need you later on?

Absolutely, let me know what happens for sure.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i ran a wire from bottom of box to top (relay socket) pin 85 but still no compressor
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i do see a module attached to fuse box though

Do you get a ground on that BLUE/ORANGE wire coming right out of the ECM when you turn the air on? should read 12 volts if you measure it between battery power. If you do get a ground there, then that is all you need to ground the relay and get power to the compressor, you jumped the relay and the compressor ran, so make sure the relay is good.

Your sure you ran it to pin 85 on the relay correct?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok its always grounded. 12.5 with key off and 11.9 with key on

The BLUE/ORANGE wire out of pin 64 on the ECM should only be grounded when the air is turned ON, if the air is turned OFF, it shouldn't be grounded. make sure the defroster isn't on and the panel is off.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Double checked a/c panel and everything is off. Still ground at blue orange wire under box

if you disconnect it from the ECM does it still show a ground? I wouldn't think so. per the wiring diagram, it should not be grounded all the time, otherwise the air comrpessor would run all the time.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Unplugged from ecm its 10.8v Plugged at ecm backprobed 12v

Interesting, if you unplug it from the fuse box and the ecm you don't get anything right?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
from ecm to bottom of box theres continuity
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Owner says when a/c stopped working was after one time he bottomed out on a low spot on the road
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He must of been running from the cops or something. For a damage like this. Not even a pregnant women suffers that much inflamation.

Oh jeez, that ECM should ground that wire when the A/C is selected. that is what grounds the relay. If it doesn't, then either the control panel or the ECM is bad or something else weird is going on. what's odd is the fuse box is open from where that wire connects at the bottom to 85 on the relay. So I don't want to say it has 2 problems but from what your telling me it seems like it does.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I already priced the fuse box and module attached to it with chrysler dealer. And they were $589 each.. Owner already diclined to proceed

I follow you, send it down the road then correct?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Well Eddy it has been a pleasure talking with you. You are a great man. You did your best in helping me solve this problem. hope you help me out again since i do request for help frequently. you deserve a excellent rating

Absolutely, Thank you and best wishes.