Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Battery light just recently came on in my 2012 200, I'm

Battery light just recently...

Battery light just recently came on in my 2012 200, I'm hoping it's just the battery since it's the original one and not the alternator. I'm just not sure where the battery is located.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery? Have you tried testing the alternator?

No, I'll have to get my meter out and do that.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '12 Chrysler?

200

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just checked under the hood. It's my father in laws car I'm borrowing it while mine is in the shop.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't think so.

5/28/2017
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chrysler Tech -

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today.

Do you have access to a voltage meter?

but I'm not very good at using it can u help me?

Absolutely! Please give me one moment to type out some info for you. Sit tight one minute... be right back!

I gotta find my meter give me a minute

Thanks for holding!

Ok. The battery is located behind the driver's side front wheel well splash shield. To gain access, remove the driver's side wheel, then remove the front splash shield. There are a few push-pin retainers around it's perimeter. Before replacing the battery, I'd recommend testing the battery and alternator first. There is a quick easy test for this, with the use of a voltage meter. With the engine running, take a voltage reading at the battery terminals. If the voltage is not between 13.2-14.4v, or fluctuates in and out of this area, the Alternator will need to be replaced. If the Alternator passes this test, turn the engine off and wait 15min. Take another reading at the battery terminals, this time with the engine off. If the voltage is anything less than 12v, the battery may have a "bad cell" and is not accepting the alternator's charge. Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page or click 'Accept'. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

What do I set my meter on to test the battery?

Depends what type of meter you have. It should be something like "VDC"

I'm guessing I can test it from the terminals that you use when you jump start.

It's best to test right at the battery itself.

It's just a regular electric meter, ohms and volts

Ok. Set it to volts.

Ok, I'll see what I get. Thanks for your help.

You're welcome! Glad I could be of some help today! Please remember to leave a rating for our Q&A using the stars at the top of the page! Have a great day!

Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chrysler Tech -
Ron Z.
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chrysler Tech -