Brad
Brad, Dealership Technician
Experience:  19 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician..ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

How do I program an extra fob key for my 2012 Town and

Customer Question

How do I program an extra fob key for my 2012 Town and Country? The dealership wants and hour to do it and uses all three keys at a cost of $115.00. outrageous.
JA: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your Chrysler Town and Country. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?
Customer: only that I purchased this matching key from Amazon and they only give instructions up to 2009 vehicles. I tried that and of course it didn't work. One of the keys I have has malfunctioned because the contacts somehow were lost form the inside. A simple replacement of those would have been cheap but that's not Chrysler's way.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Brad replied 4 months ago.

Good morning and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

Your question is how to program the new remotes?

Expert:  Brad replied 4 months ago.

My dealership only charges .5 labor which is 55.00 to program keys.. Here is how to program the keys:

PROGRAMMING IGNITION KEYS TO THE WIN

The secret key is an ID code that is unique to each WIN. This code is programmed and stored in the WIN, the PCM, and each ignition key transponder chip. When the PCM or WIN is replaced, it is necessary to program the Secret Key Code into the new module using a diagnostic scan tool. Follow the programming steps outlined in the diagnostic scan tool for PCM REPLACED, WIN REPLACED, or TIPM REPLACED under MISCELLANEOUS FUNCTIONS for the WIRELESS CONTROL MODULE menu item as appropriate.

NOTE:

Programming the PCM or WIN is done using a diagnostic scan tool and a PIN to enter secure access mode. If three attempts are made to enter secure access mode using an incorrect PIN, secure access mode will be locked out for one hour. To exit this lockout mode, turn the ignition to the RUN position for one hour and then enter the correct PIN. Be certain that all accessories are turned OFF. Also, monitor the battery state and connect a battery charger if necessary.

All Sentry Key FOB with Integrated Key (FOBIK) units included with the vehicle are pre-programmed to work with the Wireless Ignition Node (WIN) when it is shipped from the factory. The Wireless Ignition Node (WIN) may be programmed to recognize up to a total of eight Sentry Keys. When programming a blank Sentry Key FOBIK, the integrated valet key must be cut to match the door lock cylinder in the vehicle for which it will be used. Once the additional or new key has been cut, the WIN must be programmed to recognize it as a valid FOBIK. For the RKE, remote start, and starting functions of the vehicle with the FOBIK inserted into the WIN, the authentication of the FOBIK is performed by the WIN. For Keyless Go and Passive Entry functions the authentication of the FOBIK is performed by the Passive Entry Module (PEM), if equipped. This requires FOBIK identification data to also be stored in the PEM.

On vehicles equipped with Keyless Go or Passive Entry, anytime the WIN is replaced, a FOBIK is added or replaced or a FOBIK programming function is performed or the PEM is replaced, the PEM Replace function must also be run. This transfers the FOBIK identification data from the WIN to the PEM.

CAUTION:

Read all notes and cautions for programming procedures.

NOTE:

If you are also replacing the PCM and/or WCM/WIN refer to the module/programming order replacement guide before starting

1. Connect a battery charger to the vehicle.

2. Connect the scan tool.

3. Have a unique vehicle PIN readily available before running the routine.

4. Ignition key should be in RUN position.

5. Select “ECU View”.

6. Select “WIN Wireless Control”.

7. Select “Miscellaneous Functions.”

8. Select “Program Ignition Keys or Key FOBs”, Start

9. Enter the PIN when prompted.

10. Verify the correct information.

11. Cycle ignition key after the successful routine completion.

NOTE:

If the original keys do not successfully program to the new WIN after the proper procedures are followed correctly, programming new keys will be necessary.

NOTE:

A maximum of eight keys can be learned by the WIN. Once a key is learned by a WIN, that key has acquired the Secret Key for that WIN and cannot be transferred to any other WIN or vehicle.

CAUTION:

NOTE:

Have the vehicle PIN readily available before running the routine

2. With the scan tool, perform the following steps:

• Select "WIRELESS CONTROL MODULE (WCM)"
  • Select the "MISCELLANEOUS FUNCTIONS" tab
  • Highlight "PROGRAMMING IGNITION KEYS OR KEY FOBS"
  • Select "NEXT"
  • Enter the PIN when prompted.
  • Select "NEXT"
  • Verify that the PIN number is *****
  • Once verified select "NEXT"
  • Note On-Screen instructions and select the "FINISH" button
  • Cycle ignition key twice after the successful routine completion.

NOTE:

If the original keys do not successfully program to the new WCM after the proper procedures are followed correctly, programming new keys will be necessary.

NOTE:

A maximum of eight keys can be learned by the WIN. Once a key is learned by a WIN, that key has acquired the Secret Key for that WIN and cannot be transferred to any other vehicle

If you need anymore assistance feel free to shoot me a reply and don't forget to RATE 5 Stars before leaving the site so I get credit for helping you today..

Have a great day,

Brad

Expert:  Brad replied 4 months ago.
Why did you close the question?
Expert:  Brad replied 4 months ago.

You asked how to program remotes and I provided that and i would appreciate a positive rating so I get credit for helping..

Thanks,

Brad