Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

Replaced altenator, plugs, wires, coil, speed input and

Customer Question

Replaced altenator, plugs, wires, coil, speed input and output sensors, cam and crank sensors, ecm, and now the tcm. Vehicle still will not consistantly shift into higher gears. Transmission was replaced with a Jasper transmission thats under warranty. The transmission was replaced a second time a week later 6 months ago. Repair shop says its not the transmission but something else causing the problem. I notice that the transmission position indicator in the dash has all positions lit up. Could as i understand with my limited but growing knowledge of this vehicle, could this problem be caused by a transmission position sensor?
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: Dont know age of transmission. My vehicle is a 2001 dodge grand caravan. First Jasper transmission was installed 6-8 months ago. Lasted a week and warranty covered second replacement. Im not knowledgable as to association with the brake switch?
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Caravan yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Usually yes. Replaced cam and crank position sensors. Replaced input and output speed sensors. Replaced alenator, spark plugs and wirers, ignition coil, battery, ecm, and tcm.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

Good evening,

When you say it will not consistently change into higher gears to you mean it gets stuck in limp mode and won't shift out of 2nd gear?

Does the check engine light illuminate?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
check engine light is lit. Problem codes are p0700, p1391, p0320, p0508, p1684
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I believe it allows us to continue in limp home mode, however when last time doing so the vehicle would not restart until we allowed it to stand for a while, then restarted.
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

Those are all currently active codes? How long does it take for them to set after clearing them?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
After clearing them, the codes reappear each time the vehicle attempts to shift but fails to do so.
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

It's strange that you have so many codes in so many systems at once. Have you inspected the fuse box for signs of water damage or burns on the circuit board?

Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

Have you inspected the flex plate yet? I assume they inspected it when the transmission was replaced, but if it is cracked it could set the false cam sensor codes and put the transmission in limp mode.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Shop that installed the transmission says it's not the transmission but was on one occasion the crank sensor and then the ecm.I haven't noticed any water damage or burns to the circuit board. That I can check tomorrow when it's light.I did notice after changing the tcm that the shift indicator lights on the dash, all the letters are encompassed by little boxes and at one point they were flashing. When only the d for drive indicator was lit, the vehicle shifted properly.
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

That normally points to a TCM problem, but you've already looked at that.

You might try running a ground wire from the negative battery terminal straight to a good clean metal surface on the transmission. Once you have a good ground connected on the transmission somewhere drive the vehicle a little and see if the codes stay off.

Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

I need to call it a night. I'll check in with you in the morning to see if you need more help.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you Jared, you have given me points to check as I am near witts end. I've been sole owner of a small taxi service where it is extremely needed. Six years dealing with the dodge grand caravans. Constant learning curve.
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

Carvans can either be reliable, economical people movers or a major pain in the tail feathers- or sometimes both!

Let me know how it behaves with an added ground wire.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Jared, I ran a ground wire from the battery to the transmission as you suggested may help and all the problems evaporated. The vehicle is running like its brand new. It worked so well I immediately did the same thing to a second vehicle i was having problems with and it too is running like new. You just done know how much this helps this small company and our very few employees secure our place in this community that relies on us. Busy right now but will be communicating with you again in the near future.
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

That's great. It sure sounded like a grounding issue.

Most likely the factory ground has worn through- or wasn't reconnected after the transmission was replaced.

Please let me know if you need help in the future.

Also, Just Answer pays me based on your positive rating. Please don't forget to rate.

Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

Please don't forget to rate- that's how I am compensated for my time.