HDGENE
HDGENE, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master Auto Technician
285738

Regarding the cam timing on the pt cruiser is the a right

Customer Question

Regarding the cam timing on the pt cruiser is the a right and a wrong way when installing both cam gears back on .. One side of the gear says 2.0 front and the other 2.4 front
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

Hello, what year is the pt cruiser and is it a turbo or non turbo engine?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
2002 export none turbo pt cruiser
Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

Ok you will want the 2.4 marks facing you as shown in this attachment.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Due to the fact that its a 2l we had the 2l front facing out out is this incorrect.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

Its a 2.0liter or a 2.4? If its a 2.4 then 2.4 out if its a 2.0 then 2.0 out.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

In the USA its only a 2.4 for this model year.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OK thank you
Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

You are welcome, if you need more help please let me know. If I was helpful, please leave a positive rating.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

Do you need more help?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
2002 pt cruiser engine has spark, injector firing, correct cam timing check again, new spark plugs good compression yet car won't start we suspect the firing order might be at fault but firing order seems to be correct. Is it possible the coil pack can give a faulty firing order?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Can the ecu send out a incorrect ground pulse to the coil resulting in a no start?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

Any codes stored? will it fire if you spray carb cleaner into the intake? does i sound like its cranking over normally? what type of repairs were done? This started as a cam timing question. Was there some sort of engine failure?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We sprayed carb cleaner when cranking still wouldn't start it just pops through the intake just show the camshaft code and both can and crank sensors was replace. I bought this car has a no start the previous owner couldn't slove this problem it seems. I know the head wan take off and a new head gasket fitted my mechanic also took of the head to check what was going on but found nothing wrong.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

Ok I see you were working with Chris and he is waiting for you to rate him on his recommendation to have the correct engine computer ECM/PCM replaced.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is it the coil pack or the ecu that determines the firing order?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

All the coil does is fire, the pcm controls when and what cylinders it fires.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

Based on the input from the crank sensor rpm and TDC marker as the crank sensor sends its signal

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This is a unusual no start I know the crank sensor sends a pulse to the ecu which then sends it to the coil pack and the injectors.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

As I mentioned yo had a conversation with another expert and it said you were getting a PCM. Did you replace it?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I got another ecu programmed and both are firing the coil the injectors which tells me I am right back where I started .. Wasn't a ecu problem
Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

Well this question started off as timing. You should pick up with the other expert that recommended the PCM. I answered the question you asked of me