Reggie Whiddon
Reggie Whiddon,
Experience:  Lead tech at river regions auto
90546729

My husband pressure washed the engine while running then

Customer Question

My dumbass husband pressure washed the engine while running then died and wont start but turns
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 98 condorde
JA: Are you fixing your 98 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes.letting it dry then he sprayed it with wd40
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Its tried to start three different times but stopped immediately he pulled coil packs and there is no sparkle
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: The x?
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Waiting for a response
Expert:  Todd M replied 5 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. This is very bad. The first thing to do, is let the vehicle completely dry. With him pressure washing the motor while it was running, he has more than likely shorted some things out, and possibly the PCM. A good sign is that the vehicle still turns over. Do you know if he sprayed the spark plugs and wire/coils area?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yea i believe he did
Expert:  Todd M replied 5 months ago.

I understand. Once the motor complete dries, he should first check all the fuses and replace any blown ones. If none of the fuses are blown, then proceed to check to be sure that no water has gotten into the cylinders. This would prevent the cylinders from firing.

Expert:  Todd M replied 5 months ago.

After this, if the vehicle doesn't start, then you would need to check for fire and fuel as usual, but if you aren't getting fire or fuel, then I would check the PCM.

Expert:  Todd M replied 5 months ago.

I am leaning towards that if you let the vehicle dry and check the fuses, the vehicle will start. There is a possibility of electrical damage, though. Just so that you are aware.

Expert:  Todd M replied 5 months ago.
If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.A positive rating does not close the session. We will still be able to communicate and I will continue to assist you with this issue as needed
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yeah this is dumbass here and i sprayed everything.. I tried starting it for about 6 hrs. If fired up 3 times but only ran for a few seconds. So what is the pcm?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I pulled each coil pack and they were all dry
Expert:  Todd M replied 5 months ago.

The PCM(powertrain control module) is the computer for the vehicle, which controls the fuel and ignition.

Expert:  Todd M replied 5 months ago.

If you started for a second then shut off, means that the vehicle is capable of running, it's just dying out. Could be because of a sensor or the PCM. Do you have a scanner to try and scan for codes?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I was spraying in that direction of the pcm when the engine turned off
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No scanner
Expert:  Todd M replied 5 months ago.

I understand. What has likely happened, is the water has shorted the PCM out. If this is the case, then it will have to be replaced. Before we jump to conclusions, I would at least give the vehicle time to dry out.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How long do you suspect this should take
Expert:  Todd M replied 5 months ago.

Not a hundred percent sure, but I would at least wait 24 hours.

Expert:  Todd M replied 5 months ago.

You may even want to disconnect the PCM and the battery.

Expert:  Todd M replied 5 months ago.

Just to be on the safe side.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
While it's drying
Expert:  Todd M replied 5 months ago.

Yes.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Our for how long
Expert:  Todd M replied 5 months ago.

?

Expert:  Todd M replied 5 months ago.

Yes, you should leave it disconnected while drying.

Expert:  Todd M replied 5 months ago.

If you have anymore question on this issue, don't hesitate to ask. Also, please don't forget to rate the service. Thanks again.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I replaced the pcm still doesn't stay on
Expert:  Todd M replied 5 months ago.

You will need to have the circuits check to see where the issue is. The issue is likely going to be apart of the ignition system. You can try monitoring the spark and fuel input during the time that you are starting the vehicle. You need to know which one(if not both) is cutting out.

Expert:  Todd M replied 5 months ago.

This type of monitoring can be done with a capable scan tool or an oscilloscope.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Where is the gas line located
Expert:  Reggie Whiddon replied 5 months ago.

Hello are you still needing help i would like to help you. The first thing that i would like you to do. Is disconnect both battery cables and rub them together as to make a good connection and then take something like vise grips and clamp them to each other and leave them like that for 10 15 minutes. Then disconnect and hook up your positive first and then the negative. Do i understand that you replaced the PCM? Did you get that pre programmed with vin or did you or someone else program it? Chrysler has fairly good sealing technology on there connectors, I pressure wash them all the time but not running. Your going to be fine. I beleive the reset i told you to do and do it exactly like that will take care of it for you. What you are doing is draining all the capacitors in all modules and erasing any memory or logic lock that may have occured, basically they all start fresh. If that doesnt get it i will be right here with our next step.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I disconnected the camshaft sensor and it started right up. Once i plugged it back in it shut off.

OKay please do the reset i suggested want take long

Hello have you had a chance to perform that action? Are you up and going?