Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ years experience as automotive store manager and technician.
3195632

Had the front pads changed and caliper on passenger side

Customer Question

Had the front pads changed and caliper on passenger side brakes are spongy n go almost to the floor before stopping
JA: Have you tried "bleeding the brakes" to get any air out of the line?
Customer: A friend is looking up how to for this car took it to a full service station but they can't do it until we'd I can't be that long without
JA: What year is your Station?
Customer: 05 pacifica
JA: Are you fixing your Station yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: The guy messed up the caliper and had to replace it other than The pads that's it
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He just wants to make sure brakes are bled correctly
Expert:  Eric replied 5 months ago.

HI,

Ok, I need you or your friend to look at the caliper that was installed. Is the bleeder screw on the caliper below or above the brake hose to caliper connection(towards the bottom or top of the caliper)

Let me know and we will go from there

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok hold on
Expert:  Eric replied 5 months ago.

hi

ok

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I can't add any more money n he is getting his tools together once he finds that wait does the tire have to be off n does he bleed both sides
Expert:  Eric replied 5 months ago.

HI,

Ignore any automated request for more money.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm just really frustrated
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
he has to have the tire off
Expert:  Eric replied 5 months ago.

He should be able to turn the wheel to one side and look behind it to see the bleeder screw placement

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
With the tire on
Expert:  Eric replied 5 months ago.

yes, with the tire on. Tell him to turn the steering wheel all the way to the right and look behind the front of the tire to see the caliper and location of the bleeder screw

Expert:  Eric replied 5 months ago.

I just attached a diagram of correct bleeder screw placement - above the brake hose to caliper connection

If the bleeder screw is below the brake hose to caliper connection, then you were sold the caliper for the wrong side. While they fit either side, they are side specific. If the bleeder screw is at the bottom, there is a permanent air pocket at top of the caliper that wont bleed out. If this is the case, you need to return the caliper for the correct one.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is it both sides
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok knowing my luck it is the wrong one without even looking but will check
Expert:  Eric replied 5 months ago.

you replaced both calipers?

Ok, check the placement of the bleeder screws for both. If they are both below the brake hose to caliper connection, then you have them on the wrong sides. Swap sides.

Expert:  Eric replied 5 months ago.

I will post the correct bleed procedure in a moment, but we need to make sure that the caliper is correct first

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No just one side
Expert:  Eric replied 5 months ago.

then you only need to check that side

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He's not out there yet
Expert:  Eric replied 5 months ago.

ok, just let me know when he has checked it and whether the bleeder is below or above the brake hose to caliper connection.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm disabled but I turned the wheel all the way right and the line looks like it goes to the top
Expert:  Eric replied 5 months ago.

HI,

I am not asking where the line goes. I am asking if the bleeder screw is above or below the line to caliper connection - look at the attached diagram

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He is looking
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Not a mech the gravel bothered him hold on
Expert:  Eric replied 5 months ago.

ok

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
On the top
Expert:  Eric replied 5 months ago.

HI,

Ok, good. Then he will need to do the following bleeding procedure

STANDARD PROCEDURE - BASE BRAKE BLEEDING

NOTE: This bleeding procedure is only for the vehicle's base brakes hydraulic system.

CAUTION: Before removing the master cylinder cover, thoroughly clean the cover and master cylinder fluid reservoir to prevent dirt and other foreign matter from dropping into the master cylinder fluid reservoir.

NOTE: The following wheel sequence should be used when bleeding the brake hydraulic system. The use of this wheel sequence will ensure adequate removal of all trapped air from the brake hydraulic system.

- Left Rear Wheel
- Right Front Wheel
- Right Rear Wheel
- Left Front Wheel

NOTE: When bleeding the brake system, some air may be trapped in the brake lines or valves far upstream, as much as ten feet from the bleeder screw (Fig. 1). Therefore, it is essential to have a fast flow of a large volume of brake fluid when bleeding the brakes to ensure all the air gets out.

The brakes may be manually bled or pressure bled. Refer to the appropriate following procedure.

MANUAL BLEEDING PROCEDURE

NOTE: Correct manual bleeding of the brakes hydraulic system will require the aid of a helper.

NOTE: To adequately bleed the brakes using the manual bleeding procedure the rear brakes must be correctly adjusted. Prior to the manual bleeding of the brake hydraulic system, correctly adjust the rear brakes.

1) Pump the brake pedal three or four times and hold it down before the bleeder screw is opened.
2) Push the brake pedal toward the floor and hold it down. Then open the left rear bleeder screw at least 1 full turn. When the bleeder screw opens the brake pedal will drop all the way to the floor.

CAUTION: "Just cracking" the bleeder screw often restricts fluid flow, allowing only a slow, weak fluid discharge of fluid. This practice will NOT get all the air out. Make sure the bleeder is opened at least 1 full turn when bleeding.

3) Release the brake pedal only after the bleeder screw is closed.
4) Repeat steps 1 through 3, four or five times, at each bleeder screw in the proper sequence. This should pass a sufficient amount of fluid to expel all the trapped air from the brake system. Be sure to monitor the fluid level in the master cylinder, so it stays at a proper level so air will not enter the brake system through the master cylinder.
5) Check pedal travel. If pedal travel is excessive or has not been improved, enough fluid has not passed through the system to expel all the trapped air. Continue to bleed system as necessary.
6) Perform a final adjustment of the rear brake shoes (when applicable), then test drive vehicle to be sure brakes are operating correctly and that pedal is solid.

Expert:  Eric replied 5 months ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?
If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.
If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.
Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you

Expert:  Eric replied 5 months ago.

Unless you have any other questions on this specific issue, at this time please click the OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE 3 STARS OR HIGHER to pay for services rendered per your customer agreement as this is a PAYSITE and experts are not paid for their time, services, or knowledge until you do so. Thank you.