Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

2014 Chrysler 300. The "Engine Malfunction Light" is on but

Customer Question
the car displays no other...
2014 Chrysler 300. The "Engine Malfunction Light" is on but the car displays no other symptoms. The car doesn't have a normal gas cap instead has a rubber seal attached to the fuel door. Do these seals provide a tight enough connection to prevent CEL's?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Chrysler
4/24/2017
Chrysler Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 7 months ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. yes the seals are fine. you need to put a code reader on the vehicle to see what the fault codes are.

are you there?

Chrysler Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 7 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Do you still require help?

I don't have an OBD reader but I know from previous experience that a loose gas cap is often the cause of CEL lights. My Chrysler doesn't have a normal "gas cap". Just a rubber seal attached to the lid. I am wondering if that seal is possibly leaking. Will an OBD readout tell me?

Yes a good one that can check codes for your EVAP system will certainly help. but most problems are better reviled with a shop scanner as they will run live data as well as an active test on the components. The other thing we most frequently use is a smoke machine to reviel any pressure leaks. As you see this system can be quite complex to diagnose . To answer your question about that seal , yes it can if leaking . Is there anything I can do to help you further?

Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician