Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I've had a check engine light problem for 7 years. I had my…

Customer Question
I've had a check engine...
I've had a check engine light problem for 7 years. I had my car pretty much overhauled since it had been parked for 2 years. Before I parked it, I had the PCM replaced. During the overhaul, I've had 02 sensors, spark plugs, battery, gas cap, etc.. to get rid of the check engine light. It was okay for about 7 months. Now I got P0344 code. What gives? I am really tired of this!!!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chrysler
3/28/2017
Chrysler Mechanic: Greg, Technician replied 1 year ago
Greg
Greg, Technician

Hi, I'm Greg (Indy-Tech).
Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.
Rgds Greg.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry for the late reply but I have't been online for awhile. The other day I drove to an appointment and the check engine light was on. After the appointment when I started my car, the light was off. Now I'm confused as to 1) why it came on in the first place and 2) why this particular code came on. I drive the vehicle about every other day just to the store and back. So far the light hasn't come back on. The car drives fine and only has 69,000 miles on it. What could be causing this problem?

Okay thank you for the feedback.

First when the management system is checking the running of the system and see anything out off specs it

will trip on the check engine light. in your case the P0344 code ..

Now the next time you restart the car and the management system does not see anything out of specs the light will go out.

So this means you have an intermittent problem with the P0344 camshaft position sensor .this is a circuit failure

Meaning possible bad sensor wiring / connection problem or a possible bad ECM .

Check the connection and wiring could be a bad connection making this a intermittent issue .

If you need further assistance with this issue then please get back to me with the reply box below .
This is not a one answer and done i/we will stay with you until the problem is sorted out .
Before rating poor or bad please get back to me as i'm here to help you and if i can't i will opt out so another expert can , we want you to be happy and have your problem sorted out and be a happy motorist .
After rating there is no further cost for any other question relating to this problem
Kind regards Greg

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
In layman's terms, what is a camshaft shaft and/or sensor? I've had the ECM replaced and wiring checked in 2010. How would I check the connection/wiring or is this something only the dealership can do and what cost am I looking at for this service? When I got my car back to running condition last year, the dealership handled all repairs so I assumed they checked everything. I had tires, battery, wipers, fluids, AC check, 02 sensors replaced, NVLD switch replaced, coolant flush, transmission service, induction service,spark plugs/wires replaced,oil change, new gas cap, and power steering flush done. After all of these repairs, I shouldn't have any problems but that doesn't seem to be the case. I need a little more information about this camshaft sensor issue.

Hi .

Here is a good youtube video on how this works and what one needs to do to test.

Please click this link.

Still need assistance then please let me know .

Greg

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The video is very informative IF you're a mechanic, which I am not. So far, the check engine light has still been off during (2) 120 mile trips. I did feel the engine "missing" during one trip but on the next trip there were no surges. This makes me wonder if the sensor is actually out or if it could be a wiring issue. I still want to know why this particular code came up & why it went away. I can't afford to replace another sensor if the problem is a chain reaction from another sensor, etc...