Chris (aka - Moose)
Chris (aka - Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have zero heat in the cabin. I have flushed the heater

Customer Question

I have zero heat in the cabin. I have flushed the heater core, replaced the thermostat and checked the blend door servos.
JA: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?
Customer: No leaks, and the coolant level is full.
JA: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?
Customer: 2010 Town and country with 3.8L engine.
JA: Are you fixing your Town and Country yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Replaced thermostat Flushed the heater core
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: There is literally zero heat in the cabin.
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
To be clear, I have a 2010 Chrysler town and country with a 3.8L V6.
The heater started blowing cold one day.
I have replaced the thermostat.
I have replaced the Coolant Temperature Sensor.
I have flushed and back flushed the Heater Core
I *believe* that the blend door is functional based on the sound of the airflow changing when the knob is turned
The engine stays within operating temperature and doesn't overheat. The temp never goes over 1/2.
Expert:  Chris (aka - Moose) replied 7 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner till early morning.

• I am sorry no one has helped yet in return for the question fees you have already paid.
  • I believe I can help with this question.
  • Reply and let me know when your able to work on this concern.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Give me a time and I will make sure that I am available. I am in Oregon, so I will be online around 11 pacific time and monitoring my email by phone through out the day.

While running at operating temp, heat on full, blower on high, are the heater core hoses about 170-200 degrees?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No - Using a contactless thermometer, the inlet hose to the heater core is ~95 and the outlet is ~70 when the heat is turned to high and blower on full. Using a ODB2 reader, the engine coolant temp is constant at 210.Using the contactless thermometer on the top radiator hose is ~190.

Since the heater core flushed fine in both directions and you have NO coolant flowing through the core. This means the water pump impeller is worn and not moving enough coolant, the connection for the heater hoses on the engine are clogged, or there is air in the system. Run the vehicle with the coolant cap off and heat on to see if that helps bleed the air from the system and restore heat into the cab.

Please read this:

1. Understand it's not one answer and done. We can communicate back and forth many times.
  2. I do not work at or for Just Answer. You and I can only communicate on this page.
  3. When you're pleased or happy with my answer or efforts to help you. At the top of the screen please rate me or reply and say ( I'm pleased.)
  4. When I help you I am only paid from your question value deposit when you rate me on this screen. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to follow up.

Thanks for using Just Answer, Chris

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
But as I stated earlier, I have backflushed the heater core by taking the inlet and outlet hoses off the firewall, and blowing air into the outlet hose. The inlet hose was in a jug and about 1/4 gallon of fluid came out.I then hooked a radiator flush kit into the inlet valve and ran water into the heater core until fluid came out of the outlet. I then hooked everything back up and still no heat.The interesting thing is that it isn't even luke warm. It is just ice cold.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have honestly considered an airlock as being a potential issue from the beginning, but I don't know how to bleed the air out of the system.

I did not have a concern with your flushing method, that confirms the core and is fine. That leaves every thing else I mentioned to blame. Can you try the steps I mentioned and let me know the outcome?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sorry. I wasn't trying to be contrarian. Our messages just crossed.I will go try running the car up to temp, turn the heater on full and remove the radiator cap. I will let you know.Thanks!

Remove the cap before the cooling system is hot or coolant will explode all over you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
UPDATE: I removed the radiator cap and brought the engine up to temp. There doesn't seem to be any flow through the back of the thermostat housing.The heater core inlet and outlet hoses are under 90 degrees.The hose flow through the thermostat and then in the back of the housing go to the heater core. Is is possible that there is a blockage allowing water to go left into the engine without letting water to straight through to the heater core?Also open to other ideas.

Since there is now no air in the system that leaves a restriction prior to the core hoses or the water pump.

Hello again Chris here,

1. I have to assume you were not pleased with my help, because you have not replied or rated the post.
  2. What would you like to do regarding your question now?
  3. Do you still need help? Please reply I want you to get equal to or more than what you paid for.
  4. This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. That can prevent me from being able to post answers to your replies.

Thanks Chris