sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

2006 PT CRUISER I filled it up with gas this morning. Then

Customer Question

2006 PT CRUISER I filled it up with gas this morning. Then went to start the car, I ran for 2 seconds then shut off. I tried to start it again and the same thing, After that it would not start at all. What would cause this?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.

Is it possible that the fuel was contaminated? Any time an engine arrives at the gas station running fine but then doesn't want to start again makes me suspect the fuel as the first cause of the problem. It wasn't unintentionally filled with E85 or diesel?

When you first turn the key to the run position listen for a slight buzz noise from the rear of the vehicle. Sometimes it's easier to hear with a helper, but you should be able to hear the fuel pump buzz for about 3 seconds each time the key is turned to the run position.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't think so. the tank was half full when I filled it. The engine won't turn, I hit the key and nothing.
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.

Does it seem like the battery is dead? Do the headlights, radio, etc, come on?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Battery is fine.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Could it be the ignition coil?
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.

You may have an issue with the security device in the key. The key is supposed to send a signal to a receiver in the dash that tells the vehicle it's ok to start.

Do you have a spare key you could try?

Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.

An ignition coil problem would not prevent the engine from cranking. It might keep it from starting but it would still crank normally.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No. It has a tan key not a grey key so there is no transponder on the car.
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.

As far as I know there wasn't a PATS option on this car. The Tan key is just an aftermarket or a valet key. The vehicle should still have a PATS system.

If you have been told that it doesn't I suppose the vehicle could be a gray market (originally sold outside of the US) vehicle that was built without PATS.

In that case you should check to see if the starter is the issue (a bad starter would not explain why it started and then died, so I'm not confident that the starter is the issue). I can walk you through what to check if you have a multimeter.

Expert:  Jaybird61 replied 6 months ago.

Hi, My name is***** you had prior problems with the vehicle not cranking over?

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If it starts, runs for two seconds and dies abruptly three times and locks the starter out it's a security related issue.

Do you see a round red light in the instrument cluster staying on or flashing?