Chris (aka - Moose)
Chris (aka - Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

The power window motor (two of them) roll up and not down. I

The power window motor (two of them) roll up and not down
JA: Have you checked the fuses?
Customer: Yes. I have checked the voltage on the switch and I get +12v when I push "up" but -9v when I push "down"
JA: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?
Customer: 2003 Sebring convertible
JA: Are you fixing your Convertible yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. Replaced the motor and regulator once. It worked for a few days and then stopped. I originally thought the motor was bad as I didn't know the up was still working
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I also checked the switch for voltage but didn't pay the attention to voltages
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Now I saw that it is +12V and -9V

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner till early morning.

If you hot wire the motor with power and ground will it work both ways flawless?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am not sure I know how to hotwire it. I don't have the pin schematics for the plug. What does happen is that two motors are behaving the same way and one of them "out of the box". Thank you for your response!

You unplug the motor, there are 2 wires to it. One is power and the other ground. Wired one way will make it go up and wired the other way will make it go down. 2 shirt bare ended pieces of wire and some jumper cables can get battery power and ground to the window motors.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I guess I can try buying some alligator clips on both ends but it might take a while to get them and have it tested.
I did measured the output voltages and when "up" is pressed, I get +12V but for "down" only -9V. Could that tell us something?

During your test was the motor plugged up or unplugged?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Unplugged

When getting this lower voltage, does the power input to the switch tan wire also show a lower voltage?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
That I am not sure how to check

You test the tan wire for power just like you checked the other wires. Do you need a wire diagram?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It would be great if you had a wire diagram for the plug that goes into the switch

This is the wire diagram I have.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/pwrwind.pdf

Please read this:

1. Understand it's not one answer and done. We can communicate back and forth many times.
  2. I do not work at or for Just Answer. You and I can only communicate on this page.
  3. When you're pleased or happy with my answer or efforts to help you. At the top of the screen please rate me or reply and say ( I'm pleased.)
  4. When I help you I am only paid from your question value deposit when you rate me on this screen. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to follow up.

Thanks for using Just Answer, Chris

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks. I will have to study this a bit to see which two pins I need to jump to mimick getting the "down" signal when the switch is not present. It may take a few days until I get time again to do this. Thanks again and we will be in touch.

Your welcome

Hello again Chris here,

1. I have to assume you were not pleased with my help, because you have not replied or rated the post.
  2. What would you like to do regarding your question now?
  3. Do you still need help? Please reply I want you to get equal to or more than what you paid for.
  4. This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. That can prevent me from being able to post answers to your replies.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sorry about the delay. I am actually waiting for a chance to open the thing up again to try the hotwiring test based on the diagrams you provided. It just looks it will be a while before my schedule allows it. I would like to be able to get in touch once I try that but it looks like it would need to be a new thread of this one is to expire soon.
Btw, I am happy with the response and would be happy to leave a positive review, but I just hoped to get a chance to test it before closing it out.

Once you rate the post it will never close and you can respond here without paying more nor opening a new post.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Great! Thanks! I will rate it now

Thanks