nelson freitas
nelson freitas,
Experience:  AutomotiveTechnician at brantford toyota
96947379

I'm working on a 2006 chrysler pacifica 3.5 I installed the

Customer Question

Hi I'm working on a 2006 chrysler pacifica 3.5 I installed the timing belt 4 times now it seems to want be about a half tooth of on one of the cams an ever time I tighten the rocker arm assembly an try to rotate the engine the valves will hit the pistons.
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  nelson freitas replied 8 months ago.

Thanks for using Just answer to help solve your car problems. I am Nelson, I have been an automotive technician for over 12 years. I hope I can assist you in solving your problem.

I see you are having problems timing your engine. do you have any access to reliable repair information? for example identifix or mitchel OnDemand?

Also has there been any other repairs done to the car or is this being replaced due to maintenance recommendation?

Hope to hear from you soon,

Nelson

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Head gaskets have been replaced and nothing was resurfaced. An am not sure about the repair information can I find that online?

You probably cant find it online, you need to pay a monthly subscription fee to have access to the repair info.

It seems like we may have the timing off by 360 degrees. Do you still have the valve covers off? so that we can see the cam lobes?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
If the timing was off by 360 degrees it would be in the same position as 360 is a full revolution

yes but while the engine is running, the camshafts turn twice, for every crankshaft revolution.

If the valves keep hitting the piston while your turning the engine over you might not be on the correct camshaft position. if you have or need to remove the valve covers to ensure that when the cam shaft is lined with timing marks that #1 cylinder has both cam lobes pointing up and inwards towards each other.

do you need a picture of the correct timing marks?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No

ok, please let me know if i have been helpful, or if there are anyother questions you need answered about the timing of this engine.

I hope I have been able to help with your problem

Nelson.

Also if I have been helpful, please leave feedback accordingly. Thank you

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Well I didn't get any information I didn't already know

were the cams in the proper position?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Working on that thanks

ok let know if that helps solve the problem

Good luck,

Nelson

Hey just checking in to see if there has been any progress on the repair?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Nope

were you able to check for proper cam alignment?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Could you get me pics of where the lobes on the cam should be at tdc?

I'm sorry but I am unable to find the picture you are looking for. All i can find is a picture of the timing marks for timing the engine.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok I still haven't figured anything out so correct me if I'm wrong but with all 3 timing marks lined up there's no way to be 180 or 360 degrees off time? I understand that on engines with distributors it is possible to have the distributor off 180 degrees causing spark on exhaust stroke instead of compression but on newer engines the camshaft sensor will tell the computer if it's on exhaust or compression?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
the tdc on a 2006 chrysler 3.5l is on exhaust instead of compression correct?