Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

Check engine light is flashing, blinking, 2008 pt cruiser,

Customer Question
check engine light is flashing JA...
check engine light is flashing
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: blinking
JA: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?
Customer: 2008 pt cruiser
JA: Are you fixing your PT Cruiser yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: checked the oil..added a quart
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: it's idlying rough
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chrysler
11/20/2016
Chrysler Mechanic: camerontech, Technician replied 1 year ago
camerontech
camerontech, Technician

hi there,

Im cam, a licenced auto tech.

the engine light is on because it has detected a problem and it has stored a trouble code in the pcm(engine computer).

this will have to be retrieved by hooking a scanner up and pulling the stored trouble codes.
most auto parts stores will do this for free if you do not have a scanner yourself.

the light is flashing as a warning that damage to the catalytic converter is happening.
it sounds like you have a misfire and it will possibly need a tune up or even a coil pack is bad.
i would recommend scanning it asap and pull the trouble code to see which cylinder is missfiring or if there is another issue with the engine

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you

let me know what you find out!
ill keep the thread open in case you need any more assistance!

please take a moment to rate me, thanks and i appreciate positive ratings
i am always available for follow ups after rating!

cam

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will have it towed to my mechanic so as to not do any further damage to it.
camerontech
camerontech
camerontech, Technician