Joe
Joe, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine inboards and electronics, automotive drivability, all around repair tech,
20508815

Parasitic draw, Chrysler 300c 2005, found the source of the

Customer Question

parasitic draw
JA: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?
Customer: Chrysler 300c 2005
JA: Are you fixing your 300C yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: found the source of the draw in the fuse that goes to the power steering collumn
JA: When was the fluid last checked? Have you heard any whining noises while turning the wheel?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Joe replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

There is no component called the power steering column, there is a power steering rack, power steering pump and then there is the steering column, I need to know to which you are referring.

My guess is the column, for this you have simply found a fuse that provides power to circuits, now it is a matter of finding what device/circuit the problem is on, for this you must isolate each circuit and I use a test light to check draw, when you can disconnected/isolated the problem circuit the draw will go way down to a dim light (unless a door is open, light on, etc .... so you must make sure these are out of the equation for testing). Once the light dims or using an analog meter you find the circuit that is the problem you can then trace the wiring for a short, relay, or the controlled device itself.

Thank you!
- Joe

Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!

If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your answer,and yes is the steering collumn fuse.now,where can I find reference to the electric wiring of this collumn? There is a lot of components on this can steering collumn.I disconected most of them and the 2 amp draw still remained.
Expert:  Joe replied 8 months ago.

Which fuse number/cavity and what size fuse?

I want to check as there are sometimes more circuits to a fuse than what is listed for it.

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
in the rear power distribution center fuses, the one in the trunk of the car, when I pull out the pink 30 amp number 5 fuse ,then the draw drops to 0.I looked at my car's book and is telling that this fuse goes to heated seat/steering column. I did disconnected all cables and plugs to the seats but no drop on that draw unless I am missing something. what do you think , Sr.?
Expert:  Joe replied 8 months ago.

Is your vehicle equipped with a heated steering wheel?

Are any of the steering wheel controls not working or acting unusual? As well as anything else on the column, horn, wipers, etc.

Thanks,

Joe