sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

CAR WON'T GO OVER 40 MPH, Check with scanner these ar the

CAR WON'T GO OVER 40 MPH, Check with scanner these ar the codes that came up.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?
Customer: p0455 evap leak, p0700 transmission fault detected, p1790 fault immediately after shift, p0733 3rd gear error, p0720 output speed sensor error, p1799 calculated oil temperature in use.
JA: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?
Customer: 97 serbring 2.5l
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing yet i was thinking of replacing the input and output senson first
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. allow me a moment to look up some information for you.

P0700 Chrysler Description The transaxle Control Module (TCM) monitors the malfunction of sensors and actuators relating to transaxle control. When the TCM detects a malfunction with the control, a signal is send to the Engine Control Module (ECM) to trigger the Engine Light or Service Engine Soon light. The ECM stores the P0700 code and it means the TCM detected a malfunction with the transaxle controls.

P0733 gear ratio errors in second and third, these codes set when the input speed is too high for the gear you are in (slipping), or the input speed sensor signal is missing. If the clutch is slipping it could be a seal issue or the accumulators on the valve body. The screws holding the accumulator retainer plate can break and the pistons can come out causing slippage or not moving at all. If the pan was dropped instead of a flush they should have seen this.

It could be one of the speed sensors. There is an input and output speed sensor on the side of the trans. Either one of these can cause this.

P0720 It sounds like you've got a bad output speed sensor. This sensor is threaded into the front of the transmission case all the way on the (vehicle) left of the trans near the side gear cover. It's a white sensor and has a two wire electrical connector. It monitors the output speed of the transmission geartrain and is needed for shifting

P1790 - The harsh downshift comes from an underdrive clutch volume index that is too high, so it's applying the UD clutch too hard at the 2-3 downshift.

This is very commonly just caused by the fluid being low because of a leak. The first thing that needs to be done is check the fluid level with the trans hot, engine idling and trans in park.

If the fluid is full then the problem could be a bad pump in the trans, a leaking low reverse piston or accumulator cover. There is a software update for the trans controller for your exact problem, that would need to be done by a dealer before any internal trans work should be attempted if you don't have any other symptoms.

Whatever the root cause is the harsh downshift can be repaired at least for some time by doing a quicklearn procedure with a scan tool to set the clutch volume indexes back to a baseline to let them relearn correctly. This only takes a few minutes.

P1799 is either a slip in the transmission recorded or transmission fluid temperature too hot

you got more problems than speed sensors im afraid, but rplacing them should clear up sometihngs.

checking in to see how its going

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Just dropping a note I'm waiting for the sensors so I haven't done anything yet. Also I didn't mention it before but the fluid looks good and doesn't smell burnt.

ok, thank you for the update, not many people take the time.

any update????

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Not yet David, still waiting for the sensor to come in. I order them from rockauto.com should be in anytime now.

ok my friend, sorry to be a bother

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hi David I got the sensor and was just removed the input sensor and compare it to the new one they look different the overall length is the same but I'm not sure it the right one. The new one part # is " wells SU1018 "

is this right one for my 97 Sebring coup. the trans has overdrive.

let me look up that part number

having trouble finding number. you will need to call your local dealer to see if they are compatible.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The sensor in question is the output speed sensor, if you purchased and removed the input speed sensor that's the incorrect one. The input speed sensor is just above the solenoid pack, the output speed sensor is near the side gear cover toward the left side of the car. The Mopar part number is(###) ###-####

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hello , I change the sensor in the trans, over the weekend and took it out Monday morning for the test drive and it still feel its slipping when it shifts from second to third gear I shut off the overdrive and no differences. My next thing is replacing the Shift solenoid block assy. and maybe the transmission filter. if that doesn't fix it ill just have to replace the Transmission itself. unless you think I'm missing something.

Do you have an actual scan tool?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I do I have 4 otc genisys #3875 plus a few smaller ones. But when I hooked up the one I like to use. it

wouldn't communicate with it I had the shop down the street check it out for me. their didn't communicate either until they replace a 10 amp fuse I had pulled out because it would drain the battery over night.

Can you take a look at the overdrive clutch CVI?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I'll try to do that if it well communicate, what will I be looking for ?

You're looking for the overdrive clutch CVI value.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

ok I found out one of my scanners couldn't communicate with it. So I try another scanner it did communicate with it but the car and scanner battery died so ill have to try again this weekend but I did do the clutch volume index test is this the test you were talking about.

Yes, you're looking for the overdrive CVI.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

here the numbers I got

LR max 83

LR cvi 49

LR min 35

OD max 150

OD cvi 101

OD min 75

24-max 77

24-cvi 43

24-min 20

UD-max 70

UD cvi 63

UD min 24

now this was done with the car not running...

Can you try a quicklearn and see if the slip goes away?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

well i got the shift solenoid block assy. and i was going to change that first. my Question is there are two hose's above the input sensor and block assy. is there any reason i can't remove them out of the way to make the job easier ?

Also when i do the quicklearn with the scanner is the car running while i'm doing it ?

Yes, you can remove the trans cooler lines for easier access if you want.

Yes, the engine needs to be running and trans temp above 80 degrees to do the quicklearn.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello i installed the shift block but it didn't fix the problem i got the code #53, #74, #36 and i think i might of got a code #45. i also replace the EATX relay so i think i going to have to replace the transmission thier nothing left to do... thanks for your help on this
I do have another problem if you want to try to help me.
this car isnt mine it belongs to a friend i'm trying to help out.

Is it in limp in now?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
when i try a quick learn it said start engine and apply brake, and when i did it said something like fault detected or faulty ??? and it wouldn't go any further.

It can't do a quicklearn if it's in limp in.

It wasn't in limp in until the solenoid pack was replaced, correct?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it was, that's the reasons i started this. The car won't go over 40 miles per hour won't shift out of second gear.

You said it was shifting after the speed sensor was replaced and there was a shift quality concern.

What codes were setting before the solenoid pack was replaced?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
AR WON'T GO OVER 40 MPH, Check with scanner these ar the codes that came up.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?
Customer: p0455 evap leak, p0700 transmission fault detected, p1790 fault immediately after shift, p0733 3rd gear error, p0720 output speedsensor error, p1799 calculated oil temperature in use.
JA: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?
Customer: 97 serbring 2.5l
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing yet i was thinking of replacing the input and output senson first
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
After i change the input and output sensor's took it out for test drive and the same problem but the codes i got after were #53,#74 and #36 then i change the shift block assy. and took it out again and the same thing happens the same codes came up again 53,74 and 36

The speedometer does work?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
that's how i know it's not going over 40mph

You're still setting a gear ratio error in third code if you're clearing these and they are returning. As long as the input speed sensor is working and the problem only happens in third then you have an overdrive clutch issue.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I assume their no fix other then a tear down the transmission to repair it ?

It would be seal leakage or clutch failure and would require disassembly.

sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist