sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

At stop my 2005 Chrysler Pacifica is Shifting between 2nd

Customer Question

At stop my 2005 Chrysler Pacifica is Shifting between 2nd and 1st gear
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: No leaking the car has 150,000 miles on it and it just started happening 5 miles from home I only drove it 15 miles
JA: Are you fixing your Pacifica yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't tried anything at this point I'm going to go check the transmission fluid see if that's low
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope that's about it the only thing that I've done recently is change the motor mount about 3 or 4 days ago
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Cary York replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I’m Cary and I’ll be helping you today.
Please understand that I can't smell, hear, or touch the vehicle, so patience is appreciated. Before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as needed, even after the rating..

Is the check engine light on?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

It's always been on since I've owned the car. It's an o2 sensor.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Just started it again and it seems to be stuck in 2nd gear.At a stop it won't shift down to first gear either. The fluid is fine. It's also won't shift down in the manual stuck position and the speedometer is acting up. The idle is high.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

It does shift into the higher gears when I accelerate but won't come into fist gear.

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Your transmission is in limp in which can happen for dozens of reasons. This happens when the transmission control module sees a failure and removes power from the solenoid pack to prevent damage.

There are many possibilities, the most common are speed sensors and solenoids. The first step in diagnosing the problem will be to use a scan tool or code reader to see what fault codes are setting in the TCM and testing can be done from there.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

It stppedin the middle of driving to work. I borrowed a code reader till tomorrow from a friend. I'll let you know if it happens again on my way home. I'll pop in the reader and see what happens. I'll reply back later today.

Thanks

Great!