How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jerry Your Own Question
Jerry, Master Mechanic
Category: Chrysler
Satisfied Customers: 17220
Experience:  ASE Master tech. 30+ years mechanic, shop forman, service manager
Type Your Chrysler Question Here...
Jerry is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Fix/Repair Chrysler Sebring Convertible Top, Hydraulic Motor

This answer was rated:

Fix/Repair Chrysler Sebring Convertible Top, Hydraulic Motor Fill
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?
Customer: 75000
JA: What year is your Sebring?
Customer: 2006 automatic
JA: Are you fixing your Sebring yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Looking to have someone fix.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I am reviewing your question and will reply shortly, thanks.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I needed to know what fluid specifically is needed to fill the pump/motor for the convertible top? Where can I get the fluid? Any idea of the approximate cost for the fluid?

I see, thanks.

Let me just say that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

Fill the hydraulic system with Dexron III Automatic Transmission Fluid and 'bleed' it out.

Normally about $ 5 a quart at the local parts stores.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I hired a mobile mechanic to come do repairs, but needed to make sure I got the right fluid to fill pump.

You’re welcome and please come again, anytime, thanks.



Please don’t forget to rate the answer, (positively) **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here.


Jerry and other Chrysler Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Attempted repair today, and turns out that in addition to pump being empty, one of the electric top hydraulic dura rams is leaking and appears to need to be replaced. The mechanic I hired tried to tighten the hose nut but after a few more up and downs with the convertible top, the leak appears to be from ram and not the hose nut. It appears I can buy the ram for between $75-$150, but can you tell how difficult it is to install? The parts I saw are cylinder only....did not include hoses, should those be replaced as well? What would be mechanic cost to do this type repair? Thanks!!!

So sorry to hear that, (seems they are full of surprises). The book time for the cylinder is 1.3 hours. A fair mechanic, (or shop) should be able to do it for about $120 or so. I wouldn't replace any hoses though, unless they are leaking or look real shabby.

The quarter trim just has to come off for that side. I have the instructions in a PDF format, at the following link.

Thanks again and have a Happy Thanksgiving. Please come again, anytime.