Chris
Chris, Technician
Experience:  30 years certified Chrysler technician, smog license Certified Master Technician
12365498

Starts and stalls immediately, Can't drive it....not sure

Customer Question

Starts and stalls immediately
JA: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?
Customer: Can't drive it....not sure about check engine light
JA: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?
Customer: 2001 3.8 town and country
JA: Are you fixing your Town and Country yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Maybe but haven't got that far. Battery is now dead and recharging. It was a new battery.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Chris replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you. This may be a security system issue. Tell me when you turn on the ignition, do you see the red security light come on for about 3 seconds and then turn off?

Chris

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
blinking red light
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Turns off
Expert:  Chris replied 10 months ago.

The light should not blink. It should come on solid for about 3 seconds or so then turn off. If it blinks, then that indicates that the chip in the key has failed. If you have another key, then try that one. If not, then call a mobile lock smith to come out and program a new key. That should get the problem taken care of.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 10 months ago.

I hope that this information is helpful and if so, would you kindly take a moment to rate my service using the just answer star rating system? I would really appreciate it. I will still be able to help you out even after you rate me.

Thank you!

Chris

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Oh, in 2001 there is a chip in key? These are new keys with no chip (I had them made at Orchard Hardware Supply).So that is it?
Expert:  Chris replied 10 months ago.

Yes. Did the problem happen after you got the new keys? then that has to be the problem. Get new SKIM keys and you should be good to go!

Chris

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
that's it. Ok
Expert:  Chris replied 10 months ago.

Ok, have a lock smith cut and program new SKIM (chip) keys.

I hope that this information is helpful and if so, would you kindly take a moment to rate my service using the just answer star rating system? I would really appreciate it. I will still be able to help you out even after you rate me. Thank you! Chris
Expert:  Chris replied 10 months ago.

Please don't forget to rate my service. I will get absolutely no credit for helping you unless you rate me. Note that it will not cost you any extra.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 10 months ago.

Hello, just checking back to see if you received my last reply. Were you able to get a new key and did it work?

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 10 months ago.
Hello, just checking back to see if you would kindly take a minute to rate my service from yesterday. It will not cost you any extra, and I will get no credit for helping you unless you rate me. Note that I can still continue to help you even after you rate. Thank you in advance! Chris