Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

My shifter will not go into drive. I hear the click when I

Customer Question
push my brake pedal but...
My shifter will not go into drive. I hear the click when I push my brake pedal but it won"t go into any gears. Its a 300C 2005
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chrysler
9/14/2016
Chrysler Mechanic: Ron Z., - Chrysler Tech - replied 1 year ago
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chrysler Tech -

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Ron Z and I'll be helping you with your question today.

This is actually a very well known problem on these vehicles. The problem is going to be a broken spring internal of the shifter assembly. This is actually a HUGE problem for Dodge/Chrysler, and they have issued a Recall: #K39. The problem is a broken spring retainer internal of the shifter assembly. The recall will have them remove the shifter assembly, and "rebuild" it for you, absolutely Free. Unfortunately, due to the location of the break, not even the "over-ride" procedure will work.

Here is the "official" word from Dodge/Chrysler:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Customer Satisfaction Notification K39
Transmission Shifter Interlock Lever

At Chrysler Group LLC, you can be assured that we are changing the way we look at quality. To prove our commitment to quality, the company is investing in and prioritizing improvements for every vehicle that we build. As part of that commitment, we are also targeting existing vehicles on the road today and contacting our customers to provide these quality improvements, at no charge, that will help to improve your ownership satisfaction.

We are recommending the following improvements be performed on some 2005 through 2007 model year Dodge Charger, Magnum and Chrysler 300 equipped with a floor shifter.

The transmission gear shift lever interlock return spring hook on your vehicle may break. A broken interlock return spring hook will result in the inability to move the gear shift lever out of the "PARK" position.

What your dealer will do:
Chrysler will service your vehicle free of charge (parts and labor). To do this, your dealer will replace the transmission shifter interlock lever. The work will take about one hour to complete. We recommend that you make an appointment with your dealer to minimize your inconvenience

What you should do:
Simply contact your Chrysler, Jeep, or Dodge dealer, at your convenience, to schedule a service appointment. Your dealer will collect the necessary information to ensure that the appropriate parts are available so your service can be completed in a timely manner. Although not required, we recommend bringing this letter with you to your dealer, when you bring your vehicle in for this service.

If you need help:
Please contact the Chrysler Group Recall Assistance Center at 1-***-***-****.

If you would like to try the "over-ride" procedure, use the method below. If the over-ride does not work, this is confirmation of the broken spring, and the shifter will need to be serviced as stated in the Recall Letter above.

-Turn the key to the ACC or ON position.
-Remove the liner to the cubby bin to the right side of the shifter.
-Depress the BTSI override (2) on the side of the shifter assembly (1).
-While the override is depressed, move the shifter out of the PARK position.
-Return the cubby bin liner to its original location.

If you found this answer helpful, please help me by leaving a rating using the "stars" at the top of the page or click 'accept'.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for answering your question.

Hi! I noticed this thread was still open and you did not leave a rating , so I wanted to check in and see if there was anything else I could do for you on this issue? Did you have any other questions? Was there something I missed that you wanted addressed? If you have no further questions and simply forgot to leave a rating, please take a second and use the stars at the top of the page to rate our Q&A session. Thank-you!

..

Ron Z.
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chrysler Tech -