Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

I have a 1987 Chrysler Fifth Avenue. This car has a 318 V-8

Customer Question
engine and rear wheel drive...
I have a 1987 Chrysler Fifth Avenue. This car has a 318 V-8 engine and rear wheel drive. I towed the car to a local mechanic. The car would not start. The starter is turning the engine fast enough to start it but it will not start. The spark control computer and the distributor have been checked. They are good. What else should the mechanic check. Garry.
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: The battery is good and the terminal connections are good I have also replaced the negative battery cable a few months ago with a new one. The car also has a rebuilt alternator also replaced just a few months ago.
JA: Are you fixing your Fifth Avenue yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, I have a local mechanic in the city that I live in Danville, Va work on it.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: What Else should the mechanic check?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chrysler
9/12/2016
Chrysler Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 1 year ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David, have the mechanic check to see if the fuel pump comes on when he turns the key to the run position. it should run for a few seconds. if it does then he needs to do a fuel pressure test.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i had the fuel pump replaced with a new one a few months ago. The local mechanic told me by phone that there is no spark reaching the spark plugs and the spark plugs and the plug wires were replaced before I bought the car from my stepdaughter last year in 2015.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The fuel pump was replaced on the car earlier this year with a new one. The local mechanic told me by telephone that there is no spark reaching the spark plugs. The spark plugs and the spark plug wires were replaced before I bought the car from my stepdaughter last year. The spark control computer, distributor and the pickup coil and the ignition coil are good.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Did you receive my message?

hi sorry for the delay, had to get some sleep. it was after 11pm here.

if all the above are good, wires, plugs,spark control computer, distributor and pick up coil. theres no way you cant have spark. allow me to look one more possibility up ....thanks

Turn ignition on. Disconnect coil wire from distributor cap. Hold end of coil wire approximately 1.4" (6 mm) away from a good engine ground. Intermittently ground coil negative terminal, using a jumper wire. Look for a good bright Blue spark. 1. If spark is acceptable, intermittently ground negative coil terminal while slowly moving coil wire away from ground. Look for arcing at the coil tower. If arcing occurs, replace coil. If spark is weak or no spark is produced, perform failure to start test. See FAILURE TO START test in this article. If spark is acceptable and there is no arcing at coil, check ignition system secondary circuit.

Make sure the spark is strong!!! very important!

If system fails to start, perform SYSTEM STARTING TEST. If there is spark, go to step 4). If there was no spark, turn ignition off. Disconnect 10-way connector from spark control computer. Turn ignition on. Hold coil wire approximately 1/4" from engine ground. Using a jumper wire, intermittently ground negative coil terminal. If there is spark, replace spark control computer. If there is no spark, check voltage at coil positive terminal, using a voltmeter. Voltage should be within 1 volt of battery voltage. If voltage is correct, go to step 3). If voltage is incorrect, check for continuity between coil positive terminal and ignition switch. If there is no continuity, repair wire. 2. Using a voltmeter, check voltage at coil negative terminal. Voltage should be within one volt of battery voltage. If voltage is incorrect, replace coil. If voltage is correct, but there is no spark when grounding coil negative terminal, replace coil. 3. Turn ignition switch to "RUN" position. Use a voltmeter to check voltage at terminal No. 1 of disconnected 10-way connector. See Fig. 3 . Check wire between coil negative terminal and terminal No. 1 of 10-way connector. Voltage must be within one volt of battery voltage.

f voltage is within 1 volt of battery voltage, place a piece of paper between carb idle adjusting screw and carburetor switch. With ignition switch in "RUN" position, check voltage at carburetor switch connector, using a voltmeter. If voltage is not within 1 volt of battery voltage, turn ignition off. 5. Disconnect 10-way connector. Turn ignition switch to "RUN" position. Check voltage at terminal No. 2 of 10-way connector, using a voltmeter. If voltage is not within 1 volt of battery voltage, check wiring between terminal No. 2 of 10-way connector and ignition switch. 6. If voltage is within 1 volt of battery voltage, check for continuity between terminal No. 7 and carburetor switch terminal, using an ohmmeter. If there is no continuity, check wiring between carburetor switch and terminal No. 7. If there is continuity, check for continuity between terminal No. 10 and engine ground. 7. If there is continuity, replace spark control computer. If there is no continuity, check wiring between terminal No. 10 and engine ground. If engine still fails to start, turn ignition off.

Check resistance between terminals No. 5 and 9, and No. 3 and No. 9, using an ohmmeter. Resistance should be 150-900 ohms. If resistance is okay, go to step 10). If resistance is not okay, disconnect pick-up leads and check resistance between start pick-up leads. Resistance should be 150-900 ohms. Check resistance between run pick-up leads. Resistance should be 150-900 ohms. If resistance is okay, repair wiring from pick-up to 10-way connector. If resistance is not okay, replace bad pick-up. 9. Check for continuity between each pick-up coil lead and ground. If there is continuity, replace bad pick-up. If there is no continuity, reconnect pick-up leads and check air gap. Reconnect all connections and start vehicle. If vehicle fails to start, replace spark control computer.

checking in to see how its going

do you still need assistance?

Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Aftermarket & Factory Electronics