Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

The handle on my PT cruiser 2002 hatch handle just broke on

Customer Question

The handle on my PT cruiser 2002 hatch handle just broke on the right side. It rusted out . is there inside latch for me to open up the hatch?
JA: Are you fixing your PT Cruiser yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It just happened so I'm trying to open the hatch . If I don't slam the hatch shut my dome light stays on and I don't want my battery to run down
JA: Have you checked the vehicle's manual for this?
Customer: I just have the owner rights book under the state lemon laws & the warranty information for the Chrysler PT cruiser
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just that for now please .
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

In some cases some models will have an interior grab handle that can be used to open the hatch.If your model does not have this handle at all then the interior paneling usually needs removed to then access the latch to try and manually trigger it to open then the handle replaced.In some cases this can cause damage to the paneling when it is removed with the door closed like this here to where it would need repaired or replaced after the repairs are done.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete