Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

How do I replace belt tensioner on 04 sebring. 2.4 L

Customer Question
how do I replace belt tensioner on 04 sebring. 2.4 L
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chrysler
9/11/2016
Chrysler Mechanic: Edward, Technician replied 1 year ago
Edward
Edward, Technician

Hello, and thanks for your question, my name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Remove the right front wheel and splash shield, then put a 3/8 extension and a ratchet into the tensioner. Aplly force clockwise until the belt tensioner bottoms out and then the belt can be removed. Here is a diagram of the tensioner and operation. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I know how to replace the belt. I need to replace the tensioner which broke while replacing the belt. I can't see how to remove it.
Chrysler Mechanic: Chris, Technician replied 1 year ago
Chris
Chris, Technician
Hello and welcome to just answer. What is the year, make, model, and engine of the vehicle?Chris
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
04 Sebring 2.4 L dohc
Ok thanks. I will look up the procedure and send it to you

Click on the link below to see the picture. Remove the 2 bolts (# 1 in the picture) and then remove the tensioner assembly.

Chris

I hope this information helps, and if so would you take a minute and rate my service using the just answer star rating system? I will still be able to help you out even after you rate me if you have any follow up questions.

Thank you!

Chris

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This assembly looks different than mine. Are you sure this is for 04 Chrysler Sebring 2.4 L dohc?

I will opt out now since another expert took this question mid way through completion. thank you.

Chrysler Mechanic: Dan, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Dan, ASE Certified Technician

New expert here, send me the vin number. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1c3el46x64n408413

Are we talking about the timing belt tensioner of the drive belt tensioner?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The belt tensioner that the serpentine belt goes around. Looks like one bolt but I'm not positive. I busted the assembly trying to put belt back on.

Ok, yes there is one bolt in the center and other bolt on the side of it.

Maybe you are talking about the idler pulley and not the tensioner.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Any idea what size the bolts are?

They should be either 13mm or 15 mm heads. Probably an 8mm diameter bolt

Chrysler Mechanic: Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Tim's Auto Repair

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you.

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX]

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ynyl2gy4hw6yr74/0912-sebring%2Bbelt%2Btensioner.doc?dl=0

.

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

thanks

.

www.dropbox.com/s/ynyl2gy4hw6yr74/0912-sebring%2Bbelt%2Btensioner.doc?dl=0

.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help

Hello, just checking back to see if you need anything else?

Chris

Chris
Chris
Chris, Technician