Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

2004 Chrysler pacifica 115,000. replaced rear O2 sensor

Customer Question
twice. Once with a Bosch...
2004 Chrysler pacifica 115,000. replaced rear O2 sensor twice. Once with a Bosch and once with and NGK. Both O2 sensors gave a 0038 code. How do I diagnose what is wrong?
JA: Have you located all of the vehicle's oxygen sensors? Are the wires leading to and from each intact and in good shape?
Customer: all sensors are new. this code is for the downstream sensor
JA: Are you fixing your Pacifica yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have a 0038 code to diagnose
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: How do i do it? What steps do i take?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chrysler
9/9/2016
Chrysler Mechanic: roybelding, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
roybelding
roybelding, ASE Certified Technician

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist

you will need a voltmeter to verify that there is 12 volts on one of the wires going to the O2 sensor. below is the description and possible reasons for the failure

Roy

SYMPTOM
P0038 - O2 SENSOR 1/2 HEATER CIRCUIT HIGH

TEST NOTE
This symptom is diagnosed using the test P0032 - O2 SENSOR 1/1 HEATER CIRCUIT HIGH.

WHEN MONITORED
Battery voltage above 10.6 volts , ASD is powered up, and O2 heater is off.

SET CONDITION
The O2 heater voltage is out of range high.

POSSIBLE CAUSES

• O2 sensor heater operation
  • O2 heater element
  • O2 heater ground circuit open
  • O2 sensor
  • O2 heater control shorted to voltage
  • O2 heater control circuit open
  • PCM

please dont forget to rate me as it is the only way I get paid for my efforts

Roy

do not understand why you have not accepted me answers. I only get a small portion of what the site charged you and the only way I get paid is when you accept my answer

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Roy your response does not help me. I need a step by step method of HOW to test for these things and what wire to check. I was out of town till today.

did you read my response???

the first part tells you to use a voltmeter to check for voltage at the sensor??

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Again Roy. How, what steps are involved. Is the car running? Is the car not running? Is the key in a certain position. Which wire carries the voltage? I am asking you to explain in detail step by step How to check the voltage at the sensor. See thread below seems very detailed about running tests.
http://my.justanswer.com/question/guest/0b58c266cd2c41a8aba84af88a04de19http://my.justanswer.com/question/guest/0b58c266cd2c41a8aba84af88a04de19
Chrysler Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you still need help?

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician