Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2012 crystler 200, 57000 mi. Last night the battery light…

Customer Question
2012 crystler 200, 57000...

2012 crystler 200, 57000 mi. Last night the battery light came on while driving, but no other issues. Today, while dropping my kid off at school, the car wouldn't start back up. After a few minutes of checking the battery and looking for blown fuses, the car started. On the drive back home all the warning lights came on and the car would shift out of first. After getting the car back home , it wouldn't start again. Jumped it to get it started again then it stalled out. Connected to a jump, everything works fine, pull the jumpers , still good. Turn on the headlights, car dies.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?

All good on both fronts

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '12 Chrysler?

The cheap one

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Checked for loose wires, connected battery to a charger. Checked obd11, no error codes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think that's it

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chrysler
9/8/2016
Chrysler Mechanic: Technicaldan, Technician replied 1 year ago
Technicaldan
Technicaldan, Technician

Provided the drive belt is okay (fan/aux belt) and the fuses are good as you say, without any dtc's related to charging systems or voltage sensing, I would expect that your alternator is faulty and needs repair or replacement.

When the light comes on, it is notifying you to the lack of charging while the engine is running, the battery will still have some reserve to continue for a short while.

The fact it runs on jump leads, then fails with the leads off when you switch the lights on confirms that the alternator output is low unfortunately.