David Gieswein
David Gieswein,
Experience:  Automotive technician at Doug Gray Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep
94072907

1996 town and country 3.8 raw fuel coming out exhaust went

Customer Question

1996 town and country 3.8 raw fuel coming out exhaust went through everything possible rechecked everything 3 times
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  David Gieswein replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I can help you. It sounds like you have a leaking injector. Have you removed the fuel rail and pressurized it to see if any of the injectors leak? If you don't know the proper procedure, I can tell you

I had the exact same issue on a 02 Nissan Exterra. Fuel was pouring out the tail pipe and muffler. I found two bad injectors that leaked every time I turned the ignition on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no I have not how do you go about doing it

Ok it is really not that hard. The hardest part is getting the fuel rail off and not letting dirt fall down into the intake

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have worked on vehicles for over 30 years never saw this problem before

Me neither until this year. I am going to tell the easy way to diagnose which injector is bad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked resistance everyone was in specs

You do not have to completely remove the injector rail. Just lift it up and out of the holes so you can see an leakage in the next step. Make sure that the injectors are all disconnected for this test! Once you have lifted them out of the holes, turn the key on to pressurize the injectors. You may need an assistant to help you while you observe the injectors for leakage.

Resistance wont help if you have mechanical blockage

I can almost guarantee you have a leaking injector. I even bet you have more than one leaking.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when you mean disconnect you mean pull the wiring connecters off

Yes,disconnect the connectors to the injectors and leave the fuel line hooked up

This should not allow them to be energized.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok david going to do this tomorrow then I will get back to you Thanks

Thank you sir. If this answers your question please don't forget to rate me either today or tomorrow please. Have a great day!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okie dokie
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alright David took plemum off and cylinders 4 5 6 cylinders according to firing order gas was level in the intake on those 3 when I pressurized the gas rail did not come out of those 3 injectors kept trying then gas started coming out 2 and 3 injectors the 3 injectors that didn't leak they must pull gas out of them when engine is cranking

Sorry it has taken me so long to answer. I tried to get on the site but it wouldn't let me. It sounds like you have found some leaking injectors? Did you mean #2 and #3 injectors are leaking?

I forgot to tell you that it is better if you can find the fuel pump relay and bypass it during testing. Make sure the injectors are unplugged. There should be no leakage at all from any injectors when you do this.

Dear customer, if you no longer require my service, please rate me!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
alright David I put new injectors in I had heart surgery a year ago so I am not as fast because mine affected memory and thinking should have told you this before I went and check everything 3 times and all is is in tact what its doing now you have to hold throttle almost to the floor for it to fire and strong smell of fumes and on the floor is black soot and all it does when you hold pedal almost to floor constant is putt putt

Maybe the PCM is grounding the injectors all the time? The next step would be to verify the injectors are getting power and ground. With the key on engine off, take a regular test light and test each of the two pins of the injector connector. One of the two should light up your test light. Then, you will need to reverse polarity of your test light so you can test the adjacent pin which is computer controlled ground. To reverse the test light, simply put your alligator clamp on positive and your test light will now be able to test ground. While cranking you should see a faint pulse from the test light as this would indicate that the PCM is indeed trying to fire the injector.

I was just thinking, you said you had a smell of fumes. This would indicate fuel is getting into the cylinders. Maybe the problem is that you are not getting fire. Remove a plug wire and check for spark. What brand of spark plug are you using?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
checked each plug wire and fire is at everyone champion I will check the the power and grounds to the injectors and get back to you

That's good. Champion is what is recommended. On the injectors, check for power but specifically focus on the ground. I believe you may find a constant ground which would explain the flooding. It is possible you could have a bad PCM.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
put reman pcm in but it could be bad

It is possible, but not likely if the supplier is reputable. I reputable supplier has ways of verifying the PCM's integrity and software.

I need more information. Especially how the ground side of the injector is performing. If the ground side is constantly grounded, there may be a short to ground in that circuit. You will need to check each individual injector's ground circuit as they are each individually grounded by the PCM.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok will do

Take your time sir, I understand it may be difficult for you at times. I will be patiently waiting and I will be checking back here from time to time to see if you have replied. I will be in Nissan training this week in Dallas so a quick response from me may not be likely. However, I assure you that I will respond. Have a good week.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok David dark green and orange turn key on test light lights for a second then goes out when cranking light stays on now the ground pluses when engine is cranking

Did you check for pulsation on all the injectors or just one?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All had pulsation

Can you check the cam/crank sensor sync status? You will need a better than average scan tool to do this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am going to see if I can borrow good scan tool better than what I have I didn't mention this sometimes when I try to start it it will backfire through the throttle body it acts like the timing is not right going to check the wiring from the sensors to the pcm to see if theres a bad or broken wire I have checked everything else

That is why I recommended checking the cam crank sync relation. If they show out of sync, you got timing issues. I really don't think you have a bad cam or crank sensor because you said you are getting spark and fuel. The sensors just relay where the piston or cam is to determine firing time. If they are out of sync, they will inject and fire at the wrong time. A compression test can also be performed to determine if you have timing issues. However, this method is more involved and lengthy.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
allright david found the issue I get thinking it was a timing problem but the thought it it was in the sensor circuits but this is something I never saw happen in my life the camshaft broke in half
Expert:  David Gieswein replied 11 months ago.

That is crazy, glad you finally found the issue. Never seen that happen either. If you no longer need assistance please rate me! Thank you.