Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles
77480539

The cars engine temperature goes up but doesn't go all the

Customer Question

The cars engine temperature goes up but doesn't go all the way up where it starts over heating
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?
Customer: No
JA: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?
Customer: Chrysler Pt Crusier Base model
JA: What year is your Chrysler?
Customer: 2008
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. Well nothing yet, but today I plan to
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Well the temperature goes up but only half way and doesn't exceed it.. I turned on the air conditioning and while I was driving it starts going over the halfway point
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 10 months ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a independent contractor for just answer, and ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.There will probably be some equipment needed for a proper diagnosis. If you are not comfortable with this or do not have any test equipment please let me know ASAP. I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating. I am not compensated for my time until you leave a positive rating. Your rating should be based on the service you received.

How many miles do you have on your PT cruiser?

When was the last time the coolant was serviced?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
200,000
Don't recall but long time

Probably a good place to start then.. You can either take to shop for a service or get a do it yourself kit at parts store.

Hello, I have not heard from you in a few days. Do you still need assistance? I also noticed you haven't left a rating. I have assisted in good faith and am only compensated when you leave a positive rating. Please let me know if there is anything else you need to leave a positive rating. Conversations can always continue after a rating is received.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Alright so I've added coolant to where it's says max.. Still heats up .

I would recommend a coolant service. changing the coolant

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
How would that work?

Like I said previously you can either have it done at a shop or you can purchase a do it yourself kit at the parts store.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
How can I do it myself?

Go to your local parts store and tell them you need to do a flush on your cooling system. They have a kit

I am going to opt out and see if someone else can help you.