Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

Recently had radiator hoses & thermostat replaced for

Customer Question
overheating. It now runs about...
Recently had radiator hoses & thermostat replaced for overheating. It now runs about 10-15 minutes then overheats again. Can't feel any flow in upper rad hose. Car was brought to me after two other "mechanics" supposedly fixed. Iv'e been told there is unusual procedure to fill & bleed this system. Any tips. Thanks Dave
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?
Customer: Reservoir is full, tested with pressure tester holds pressure ok
JA: What is the model of your '10 Chrysler?
Customer: 2001 300M w/3.5l ho
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Over 40 yrs collision & mechanic experience. Now retired. Pressure tested cooling system (Snap-on set) ran car about 15 min to observe customers compainy
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I am the mechanic. Just not real familiar with this engine set up.How many bleeders in the system
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chrysler
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
8/27/2016
Chrysler Mechanic: Jerry, Master Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Jerry, Master Mechanic

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I am reviewing your question and will reply shortly, thanks.

A phone call would not be in your best interest. I am not able to draw diagrams or give instructions over the phone.

There is just the one bleeder, Located on the lower intake manifold, left of center and below the upper intake plenum.

Let me just say that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

.

They are sometimes bad about the radiators clogging up and causing an overheating. You can have that tested at a radiator shop or feel around the core when the engine is hot to see if there are any cool spots that would indicate a clog.

.

However, with any engine that runs hot, overheats or has been overheated it is best to check the integrity of the engine, (head gaskets and heads, etc.)

.

The first thing that you want to do is check the cooling system for any exhaust gases. Make sure that it’s full first. There is a tester for that, that you can get from Autozone for about $20. They will normally lend you the tester and you just buy the fluid for about $8. It comes with instructions, but there is a blue fluid that is used in it, if the fluid turns yellow, that is exhaust gases.

.

Block tester available is:

Napa BK.(###) ###-####/p>

OEM/Block Tester AUTOZONE

Part Number:
27145

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Tools/Block-Tester/_/N-25dh?filterByKeyWord=block+tester&fromString=search

.

*****You will want to check it at different RPM’s and at different temperatures***

..

.

If there are any exhaust gases in the cooling system, that will cause more pressure than desired and will allow the engine to burn coolant and/or heat the coolant up too high. Most times not filling the crankcase with coolant either and not smoke out the exhaust.

If there are, then there would be an internal engine problem, like a head gasket or head.

.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here.

.

Jerry, Master Mechanic