Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

AS i WAS DRIVING IT SEEMED THE CAR STARTED "MISSING" AND WAS

Customer Question
GOING TO STALL - i...
AS i WAS DRIVING IT SEEMED THE CAR STARTED "MISSING" AND WAS GOING TO STALL - i NOTICED A BEEP AND THE MALFUNCTION iNDICATOR Symbol showed on the dash. It drove as usual but I am now concerned what this means??? Help! I tired talking the gas cap off and tightening it and drove home but the sybol is still there.
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: Yes, just as usual - as far as I iknow. Haven't noticed a difference in gas usage.
JA: What year is your Chrysler?
Customer: 2005
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just tried the gas cap tightening so far.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Is this a free service?
JA: The Chrysler Mechanic's require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost.
Customer: I have a mechanic friend so may check with him so I guess I can get back to you - tomorrow.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chrysler
8/18/2016
Chrysler Mechanic: john -aka eauto, The Car Guy replied 1 year ago
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy

have you scanned for codes?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not sure what that means
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do you think the Malfunction Indicator Symbol will reset itself?

The check engine light comes on when the on-board computer detects a fault in engine driveability or performance, transmission control system or transmission, or the emissions system, and a fault code is set and stored in the computer. Faults that can set the check engine light can range from a vaccuum leak, engine mis-fire, low engine compression, faulty sensor such as O2 sensor or other engine sensor, hydraulic pressure loss in transmission, transmission shift solenoid, open/short in wiring harness, emission evaporative system leak, or one of over a hundred different reasons.
The only way to know what set a fault code and turned the check engine light on is to have a diagnostic scanner hooked up to the on-board computer and read it for stored diagnostic fault codes. Many auto parts stores will do this service for free- (like auto zone)check with you local parts stores. If none in your area do, then you will have to take it to a shop and pay to have the computer read for stored fault codes.

Without knowing the fault codes numbers, it would be irresponsible to guess as to the cause as there are hundreds of possible causes

if you provide me a diagnostic code we can narrow down the cause of failur

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I guess I will have to take it to a mechanic then tomorrow to see if I can get a Fault code.

let me know

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.
I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. As always I'm happy to provide my time/service & resources so If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you. Thank you and good luck with your vehicle!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Don't feel I can rate you at this point until I get things checked

ok

have you gotten things checked yet?

john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy