sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

2008 Sebring Hardtop not functioning correctly. Deck lid/

2008 Sebring Hardtop not functioning correctly. Deck lid/ trunk top stuck in the air.
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The roof will stop it's motion about half way and then I have to press the button again for it to continue motion and fold into the trunk, however the deck lid/trunk cover remains stuck. i can hear the motors running on each side, but it will not close. Now the trick I have to use is pull the emergency green handle near the latch, open the deck lid fully, and reclose it to the latch, after that I can press the button and it will close like normal. I am thinking it could be a sensor, spring ,cable , broken plastics somewhere etc.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If you do hear the pump continue to run then the issue is going to be mechanical or hydraulic. If there was an electrical issue then the pump would stop and you'd see a top malfunction message on the instrument cluster.

Components may be physically binding or it may be a fluid issue. If the fluid is low it could cause what you're describing.

Have you checked the fluid level; does the top itself move correctly?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i dont't know how to check the fluid level, but let me re iterate that the roof retracts and will stop at half way, almost vetical over the trunk area and at that point i would have to press the button again. If you think i still need to check the fluid level i will. Also if the fluid is low, will it make any weird noise or move slow ?

Do you continue to hear the pump at the time the top or trunk lid don't move?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i hear a sound when the trunk lid is stuck mid air , now the sound i am unsure if it is the motor or pump. I know for a fact that the sound is coming from the both quarter panel areas .

Is it the same noise you hear when the top is moving?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i think when top itself make a sound , but that is the sound related to it when it motion.

Does the tonneau extend and retract correctly?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
it does, but remember I said it will stick at 90degree while in motion and I have to press the bottom again, it closes in and latches properly. I think my issues has to do with the trunk lid, I have to pull the green emergency handle every time, extend the trunk fully , latch it, and then the top will close normal.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 12 months ago.

There should be no sound when trying to move the top if that's the case. Does the trunk ajar light come on when the trunk is not ajar?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
no the trunk light does not come on.

The ajar light, to tell you that the trunk is open.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no it does not come on. where are the sensors located for this system ? what are the common area that should be checked ?
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 11 months ago.
You're going to need a scan tool capable of communication with the power top control module to further diagnose the problem if no mechanical problems can be found visually.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I scanned it with an AUTEL 908P and the code is B2253A - CONVERTIBLE TOP HEADER LATCH LIMIT SWITCH PERFORMANCE.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
correction - B253A

Great!

The header limit switch is in the header assembly, above the visors. The problem could be wiring or the header motor not moving when commanded but is most likely the switch itself. If you have the capability of actuating the motor I would recommend doing so. If it does move then you're quite safe with just replacing the switch.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
do you mean actuating the motor with the scan tool ? where is the switch located ?

Yes, actuating the header motor.

The switch is in the header assembly and will require disassembly to get to. The visors and header trim panel need to be removed, the header assembly removed and then the switch can be removed from it.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
does this mean I have to remove the headline,r and then pay someone to reinstall a new headliner ? can you show me an exact location of where the switch is ? Do you know how much that switch will costs ?

The headliner is on the top. The header is above the windshield. The visors and header trim panel will need to be removed and then the header assembly. You can see the header parts and the location of the switch here.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
thanks for the diagram. is the switch number 3 or 4 ?

Number 4 is the switch in question.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
do you have removal instruction for the header assembly ?

I can describe the procedure if you'd like but am unable to post material directly from the service information due to copyright.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I just pulled the header plastic cover off along with the two visors. I took of a few 10 bolts but the metal plate seems to be riveted, so right now I am unable to see anything behind that metal plate where all the latches/ mechanisms are.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I the big metal plate is moving but it seems to be stuck and I can't find anything that seems to be holding it in place. It is shaking, but wont' let loose.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 10 months ago.

If you can upload a picture of it's current state I may be able to tell what the issue is.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Here are the pictures.

There should have been eight bolts. Is that how many were removed?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I removed eight bolts.

Are the latches in the full open position?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
you would think the metal plate would come off after the eight bolts but something is holding it back and I don't want to pull down and break something, unless there is a special way of removing it.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't know if they open, how can look for this ?

You can look visually at the latches. If they aren't full open then a scan tool is going to need to be used to move the header latch motor.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i need to see a diagram of where those latches are. I don't know what I am looking for. will the autel 908p tool control the header latch motor or does it have to be a Chrysler specific scan tool ?

The latches are on the sides of the presenter plate.

I don't have the scan tool you mentioned so I wouldn't have a way of knowing it's capabilities. See if it has actuator tests and includes the header latch motor, if it does then command it to open. If it doesn't move then command it to close. If it doesn't move that direction either then the motor or linkage most likely have an issue, power and ground at the motor would then need to be tested.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok I will have to go to my mechanic friend and use his scanner again. I will follow up with you later.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Will I have to put the 10 bolts back on when I am commanding the actuator latches ? I suspect that the latches are what is holding up the presenter plate ?

The latches have to be open for removal.

You can just put in one both per side when trying to move it with the scan tool.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
hi, so i was able to get the scan tool to unlock the header and it fell off nicely. i am able to see the mechanisms and i can see the two latches on each end of the presented plate working fine. They are not electronic, there is motor in the center with arms going to both of these latches on the right and left.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i have attached pictures. i am referring to the latches in picture 2.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i also noticed that i was able to control the top movement from my scanner, but the top only goes up about 4 inches and remains stuck, and when i command to scanner to close it slams/closes. i am not sure why it won't go all the way back into the trunk or if this is just a failure symptom of the header latch limit switch.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 9 months ago.

I assume you were able to get the presenter plate removed then?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i assume you asking me this question mean that you ignored the pictures i attached .

I do now see the later picture where it is down on the dash.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
what is next ?

You were removing the presenter plate to replace a microswitch.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
what is a mircro switch and where is it located on the presenter plate ? i thought because the code says header latch limit switch we are looking for a latch, so now we are looking for a mirco switch ?

The part information and location were posted on September 7 at 7:22 PM. It is number 4 in the diagram.

http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=540847

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
thanks, ***** ***** at those switches, one of them is blue and it seem to be riveted, how will i remove that ? do i have to replace both switched or one of them ?

You can replace both switches or just the one setting the code.

The rivets need to be drilled out to remove the switch and then the new switch riveted in.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
these switches actually control the way top retracts into the trunk . i am asking this question because i am thinking these switches only seem to control and perform functions in the presenter plate area exclusively. the top seem like the mechanics/ functions would all related to the parts in the trunk and since the trunk has parts/mechanisms that directly control the closing and opening of the top itself.

The top is disabled if any switch isn't in the correct state at any time.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
oh ok. well i am going to have to take this into the dealer because i feel this is going to get beyond my skill level. i will mark this as satisfied once i get the car back from the dealer. how many labor hour will it take to replace that switch ?

If you reassemble it and bring them the vehicle then they'll most likely charge 1.5-2.0 hours.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
yeah i am going to re assemble it. i hope they don't cheat me on more hours because i can't see this taking more than 1hr is the technician is really an expert. i asked the dealership if they had a special person that does convertible top repair and they said yes. i will let you know how this ends up next week . thanks for all your help so far.

You're welcome!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
hi, so i went to the dealership and they are telling me i have to replace the motor in the middle of the presenter plate. i told them that i verified it works and they said it may look like it works but it doesn't extend and retract fully . Could this be ?Secondly, they are saying that it needs a few micro switched at the rear.thirdly they say it needs the storage tray because the sensor will not operate the top properly. that i can understand if the storage trays/compartment do have sensor. they are making it seem like i can't install it, even when i told them i could take care of that part. i don't think i can trust these people, since it it already established what the code was.

Yes, if the motor doesn't move fully then the switch won't close and will cause what you're having.

It's definitely possible that there could be an issue with another switch and if the cargo divider is broken it will definitely need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
can i install the cargo divider myself ?

Most likely.