Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

T&c shuddets and code 740 cane up wheb mechanic chevked why

Customer Question
tge engibd light came on. JA...
T&c shuddets and code 740 cane up wheb mechanic chevked why tge engibd light came on.
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: Engine. Sorry my phone screwed up my message!!
JA: What year is your C?
Customer: 2012
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing yet. It just happened today.. It drives fine up to 45mph. And no, ill probably have hin fix it but fear its a major fix.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Meaning?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chrysler
8/4/2016
Chrysler Mechanic: john -aka eauto, The Car Guy replied 1 year ago
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy

hows the fluid

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He said he has to get it up to check as its not acceptable from the hood.. Taking it back in the morning. Its also just coming up to 80k and will get its first tune up.. Im just afraid itll need a new transeor something.... Mostly why im writing in.

The P0740 is the one in the trans controller and points to the actual problem. P0740 sets when the torque converter clutch either doesn't lock up when commanded or slips excessively.

In the front of the converter there is a disc clutch that is turned on at times to give a mechanical lock between the engine and transmission, it drops engine RPM's about 200 in cruise situations and raises fuel mileage a little.

Repair options are going to depend on how it has failed.

It's possible that incorrect or degraded fluid can cause this. The software requires a specific frictional property of the fluid to work correctly, if there is a fluid additive in it, a fluid other than ATF+4, or the fluid is very worn then flushing the trans with some fresh ATF+4 could take care of the issue.

It could also be a failure of the converter itself.

Sometimes when the converter clutch fails it will put clutch material debris into the pan and it circulates around the trans and can cause other problems. Dropping the pan and inspecting for this debris will tell if this has happened. If there is a large amount of debris in the pan and it has been circulating in the trans then they're going to recommend overhaul or replacement of the trans.

It's possible that the converter simply isn't locking up and hasn't produced debris, which I recently had happen on my own car. If the pan doesn't show debris then just replacing the torque converter will be ok and the trans wouldn't have to be replaced or overhauled.

I don't feel that a trans shop is the best place to go. I've seen and heard too many stories of trans shops indiscriminately selling a replacement trans or overhaul for nearly any problem. I feel that a dealer or independent shop will be better in your case because they would be more likely to diagnose and repair the issue rather than just sell you a rebuild or new trans.

Please rate my performance only when you are happy with my help. If for any reason you feel you cannot rate my performance with at least OK Service or better please click the Reply to Expert link and let me know any further questions that you have.

are you there?

john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy