Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

I lose the timing after installing water pump, it cranked

Customer Question
but the new tensioner...
I lose the timing after installing water pump, it cranked but the new tensioner did not come out in time, so the chain was jimping up off of the sprocket as it was running, now i,m not getting the timing back.
JA: What part of the car is the leak coming from? And are you sure it's water?
Customer: No, my problem is timing.
JA: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?
Customer: 2004 sebring conv.2.7
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I,ve had it running after installing a water pump, the tensioner did not pop out soon enough, so the chain was jumping up n down off of the cam sprockets, and lost time.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chrysler
8/3/2016
Chrysler Mechanic: Joshua Davenport,
 replied 1 year ago
Joshua Davenport

Good evening. Unfortunately on these engines, when the chain jumps time the valves will be bent by the piston because they are opened at the wrong time. There is a possibility that the engine will run ok, but the entire timing cover and valve covers will have to be removed to place the engine back in time.

Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Aftermarket & Factory Electronics